Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

i have a question about me and my scottish wife obtaining a uk spouse visa so we can both live in the uk together.

i (husband,usa) and my wife have been living in the usa for 3 years because she got a k1 fiance visa so that she could come here and live with me. after 3 years of living and working here, we want to move to the uk together but are not sure of a few things concerning the process.

my main concern is the income requirements. i am making about 19,000 a year and she is making around 15,000. we are paying monthly rent to my parents and have $25,000 in savings. now, how will we go about being qualified to live in the uk together? obviously, she doesnt have a job in the uk to be able to sponsor me. how can we meet the financial requirements? obviously we will get jobs there once i (usa citizen) can go there and also we could stay with her parents at first if we needed to.

i really hope we can figure this out. thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
hello all,

i have a question about me and my scottish wife obtaining a uk spouse visa so we can both live in the uk together.

i (husband,usa) and my wife have been living in the usa for 3 years because she got a k1 fiance visa so that she could come here and live with me. after 3 years of living and working here, we want to move to the uk together but are not sure of a few things concerning the process.

my main concern is the income requirements. i am making about 19,000 a year and she is making around 15,000. we are paying monthly rent to my parents and have $25,000 in savings. now, how will we go about being qualified to live in the uk together? obviously, she doesnt have a job in the uk to be able to sponsor me. how can we meet the financial requirements? obviously we will get jobs there once i (usa citizen) can go there and also we could stay with her parents at first if we needed to.

i really hope we can figure this out. thanks for your time.
Okay -- I'm gong to move this to the UK forums since this is a UK immigration issue.

However, if your wife has been living in the US as a permenant resident for 3 years, she should seriously consider naturalising as a US citizen before leaving. The process takes around 6 months or less. In that way, she will be able to freely return to the US without the visa malarkey should you later change your minds again. Taking US citizenship does not mean that she gives up her British citizenship. If she's interested but needs help or has further questions, post a new thread in the US forums.

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Okay -- I'm gong to move this to the UK forums since this is a UK immigration issue.

However, if your wife has been living in the US as a permenant resident for 3 years, she should seriously consider naturalising as a US citizen before leaving. The process takes around 6 months or less. In that way, she will be able to freely return to the US without the visa malarkey should you later change your minds again. Taking US citizenship does not mean that she gives up her British citizenship. If she's interested but needs help or has further questions, post a new thread in the US forums.
I agree that you should seriously consider your wife's naturalization as US citizen before contemplating moving to UK.
As for relocating to UK, after 4 years of marriage you can apply for indefinite leave to enter as someone married to a British citizen, rather than a probationary 2 year spouse visa. You don't need to have job(s) set up in UK before moving over (as it's very difficult to do) but you should mention your intention to look for work, what fields you may be qualified in and perhaps some evdience of having contacted recruitment agencies in UK. You need to have proof of some funds to start with, and evidence of suitable accommodation.
What many couples do is for the British spouse to return to UK first and get the grounds prepared for the visa applicant's eventual move. So your wife can fly over and get the accommodation sorted (whose details you enclose with your visa application).

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is exactly the same position that me (uk wife) and my family (us husband and 3 children) are in. I have lived in the US almost my whole life. We are moving back as all my other family live in edinburgh. I am in US on a greencard now.
We also do not have employment. We have savings (30,000 us) and have a CD (7,000 pounds) in the UK. I hope it is enough and of course we both intend to work on arrival.
We do however already have an accomodation as my parents own an investment property that we will stay in until we can obtain a mortgage.
We are getting ready to send in the applicaition. We have been together for 6 years and have a 3 year old and 5 month old twins. We were married in August of 2009.
My question is 1. how much in savings etc are they looking for? 2. Will the fact that we have no job affect the application. 3. Is the information that is asked about current employment relevant to me as the sponsor I was self employed and have been shutting down business in order to move what should I put down as employment as I assume they are looking for me to be able to support my family as the sponsor. I can not go ahead to gain employment and leave my children and they are on my husbands visa app.. 4.do we have to have a probabtionary period since we were married just last year or does the 6 years together count to wards an immediate settlment visa.
Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
and leave my children and they are on my husbands visa app..
Are you sure you didn't pass your British citizenship to your children? Were you born in the UK?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure you didn't pass your British citizenship to your children? Were you born in the UK?
Yes, I was born in the Netherlands as I came unexpectedly 3 months early and was an emergency csection. My mother wanted to deliver at home (in UK) but it was an emergency so ROTTEN LUCK!!!!
I hold a UK passport and I tried to apply for my son when he was born. They consider me second generation since I was not born in the UK.
Any way around it??? I think I have tried every avenue to get the a UK passport already. Even tried to get them an EU passport but no luck.
Any suggestions would be great. It is going to cost an arm and leg to get them all visas.

·
Registered
39,032 Posts
Yes, I was born in the Netherlands as I came unexpectedly 3 months early and was an emergency csection. My mother wanted to deliver at home (in UK) but it was an emergency so ROTTEN LUCK!!!!
I hold a UK passport and I tried to apply for my son when he was born. They consider me second generation since I was not born in the UK.
Any way around it??? I think I have tried every avenue to get the a UK passport already. Even tried to get them an EU passport but no luck.
Any suggestions would be great. It is going to cost an arm and leg to get them all visas.
You are a British citizen by descent and any children you have, born outside UK and overseas territories (Gib, Falklands etc), are not automatically British. If you live in UK for three years prior to the birth, any children will be British by descent on registration. Those already born will need to establish some connection with UK, usually by living for three years with their parents in UK before they reach 18, when they become eligible to register as British citizen otherwise than by descent. So for your son, the only route is for all three of you to move to UK and live at least three years (and not being absent for longer than 270 days in total).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.