Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the forum:) We are thinking of retiring to the Gandia/Oliva area of Spain in about a year's time and I wondered whether any of you live in that area and can tell me whether it's a good area to move to?

Looking forward to your responses.

·
Administrator
36,444 Posts
Hi Everyone - I'm new to the forum:) We are thinking of retiring to the Gandia/Oliva area of Spain in about a year's time and I wondered whether any of you live in that area and can tell me whether it's a good area to move to?

:welcome:

my fellow moderator Stravinsky lives in that neck of the woods & I'm not so far away

why not have a good read of the forum, especially the 'sticky' threads above & the links from them........then come back and ask any specific questions you might have

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:welcome:

my fellow moderator Stravinsky lives in that neck of the woods & I'm not so far away

why not have a good read of the forum, especially the 'sticky' threads above & the links from them........then come back and ask any specific questions you might have
Thanks - Yes, I have been to Javea and stayed in Orba last year. We also spent 5 days in Oliva a couple of weeks ago after 5 days in Valencia city. I love the area and will have a good read on the forum before getting back to you with specific queries.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts

Yes its a great area to live in. If I can help at all dont hesitate to ask.
You should consider the small outlying villages as well as they are lovely, depends on what exactly you want.
We have blue flag beaches, lots of national parks, good communications to Alicante and Valencia with a return train ticket to Valencia costing less than €7

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its a great area to live in. If I can help at all dont hesitate to ask.
You should consider the small outlying villages as well as they are lovely, depends on what exactly you want.
We have blue flag beaches, lots of national parks, good communications to Alicante and Valencia with a return train ticket to Valencia costing less than €7
Thanks. I think my hubby would prefer a larger place and that's why I'm looking at Gandia (or possibly Oliva if I can persuade him that it's big enough. The train fares sound really cheap which is good as we would be on a fairly tight budget. I don't think a village would be a good idea really.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thanks. I think my hubby would prefer a larger place and that's why I'm looking at Gandia (or possibly Oliva if I can persuade him that it's big enough. The train fares sound really cheap which is good as we would be on a fairly tight budget. I don't think a village would be a good idea really.
As I said, it depends what you want .... you just have to remember that the big towns can be very noisy at night. Both Gandia and Oliva have playa areas as well

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I said, it depends what you want .... you just have to remember that the big towns can be very noisy at night. Both Gandia and Oliva have playa areas as well
Thanks for that - Oliva was very quiet at night when we were there - we stayed right at the top of Calle San Francesco in the old town. Really loved it. I suspect living in a flat might be a bit noisy unless you're on the top floor!

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Thanks for that - Oliva was very quiet at night when we were there - we stayed right at the top of Calle San Francesco in the old town. Really loved it. I suspect living in a flat might be a bit noisy unless you're on the top floor!
Trust me ...... Oliva is not quiet at night, at least in the centre :D
Although you stayed right at the top end above Pelut which is right out of town so would be quieter :)

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
La Font D'en Carros
Potries
Villalonga
Rafelcofer
Tossal Gros (on the mountain overlooking Oliva & Gandia)
Piles (yes .... I know what your going to say :) )
Palma De Gandia
Barx (inland from Gandia)
La Drova (Inland from Gandia)

Further out
Ondara (South of Oliva)
El Verger (South of Oliva)
Pego (Inland from Oliva)

Also as I mentioned both Gandia and Oliva have the areas near the beaches. Gandia is quite busy both in the town and the playa. Oliva has a lot of nice places in the playa area but I'm guessing they would be more expensive

Tossal Gros, a 3 bed villa with pool just sold for €200k I believe, and last year a similar place with a small pool sold for €175 ish. Tossal Gros is named as an Urb, but it's not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts