Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Link or list of the legal channels for walkie talkies in France?
Is a license required?
I contacted the manufacturer Midland and they couldn’t help.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
A couple of things you need to know to pursue this:

Walkie-talkies are called Talkie-Walkies in French. (Hey, why not?)

They operate under a regulation called PMR (private mobile radio) and the relevant portion for license free walkie-talkies (or talkie walkies) is PMR446. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

Whether or not you need a license depends on the model (and obviously what bands the model allows you to access).

But from what I can tell, PMR446 is a European-wide norm.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of things you need to know to pursue this:

Walkie-talkies are called Talkie-Walkies in French. (Hey, why not?)

They operate under a regulation called PMR (private mobile radio) and the relevant portion for license free walkie-talkies (or talkie walkies) is PMR446. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

Whether or not you need a license depends on the model (and obviously what bands the model allows you to access).

But from what I can tell, PMR446 is a European-wide norm.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev. :thumb:

I never thought the name would be back to front. That's France :)

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Interesting comment! Cirrus, you write as if there is a correct and wrong way of writing W/t or t/w.
As expats perhaps we have to understand deep in our souls that it's not right / wrong ... but different.

I use the word soul because it's easy for the brain to appreciate the differences, but deep, deep down inside we see "wrong"?

Clearly with the subject t/w. or w/t it's not important, but the principle can apply to much bigger things?

DejW

Thanks Bev. :thumb:

I never thought the name would be back to front. That's France :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting comment! Cirrus, you write as if there is a correct and wrong way of writing W/t or t/w.
As expats perhaps we have to understand deep in our souls that it's not right / wrong ... but different.

I use the word soul because it's easy for the brain to appreciate the differences, but deep, deep down inside we see "wrong"?

Clearly with the subject t/w. or w/t it's not important, but the principle can apply to much bigger things?

DejW
DejW,

Right, wrong, correct, souls, brain.
Hmm, sermon, lecture or reprimand?

I made no mention of right or wrong.

W/T originated as walkie talkie (1940 I believe), no need to reverse it (if you prefer to back to front) and confuse.

On this occasion, I won’t be ticking ‘LIKE’ for your post.
Rgds cirrus

·
Administrator
50,425 Posts
Actually, if you assume that one is the noun and the other the adjective, it makes perfect sense that the French would reverse it (like they always do). But believe me, the first time you hear that, it sure sounds "wrong" to the anglophone ear.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Dear Cirrus (may I call you Tufty?)

I've just re read my post and it is really very bad....I apologise wholeheartedly.

My point was that I saw your walkie takie discussion with Bev in danger of going the way of some other discussions here......"France has got it wrong!"

My point about soul was that, depending on your viewpoint, our soul (or super ego to be technical) contains what we believe to be right or wrong....often learnt at an early age. In summary I was trying to point out (and failed) that as expats we should see things in France as "different" and not "wrong".

A few personal examples...at an early age my parents taught me how to lay a formal dinner table. I see many examples in France of table setting as "wrong"...sorry can't help it. At breakfast I have to be careful when I see French family members putting their cup on the plate and the bread on the table....."it's wrong, you know"..didn't do that when I was young.

Another problem for me it the verb "manquer" to miss. For me the French construction is "wrong"....I miss you.....tu me manques.

Again, sorry, perhaps I was reading too much into walkie talkies....les talkie walkies!

I 'ang me 'ead in shame......DejW

DejW,

Right, wrong, correct, souls, brain.
Hmm, sermon, lecture or reprimand?

I made no mention of right or wrong.

W/T originated as walkie talkie (1940 I believe), no need to reverse it (if you prefer to back to front) and confuse.

On this occasion, I won’t be ticking ‘LIKE’ for your post.
Rgds cirrus

1 - 7 of 7 Posts