Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so since this forum has been a huge help during the application process, I thought I'd register to get a bit of advice while I am (anxiously) waiting on my visa.

Here is my situation: I'm American, Husband is british, 1 dual-national child

I received my confirmation email on November 11th. I paid for the priority service through World Bridge.

I have to move my original flights (they were already booked in case of a miracle, since my husband has to leave that day to start his new job).

I have read other threads that stated that straightforward cases have heard a decision within 48 hours. I didn't read that anywhere else except on this forum. I believe our case to be pretty straightforward. The only "issues" could be that we don't have a place of residence established in the UK yet, as we are moving over to the UK at the same time. We did include a letter from my husband's parents stating that we had their permission to stay with them while we find a rental property.

I also included:
My passport
Birth certificate for me, husband, and child
copy of passport for husband (british and US - he is a naturalized US citizen too)
bank statements
6 months pay slips
current savings account balance
Letterhead UK job offer with salary and startdate
marriage certificate (we were married in the UK)
Application (including Appendix 2 and the sponsorship form)
Biometrics receipt
and priority service confirmation

There are no divorces or other children involved, but the only thing that could cause extra research for them, is that I have had a spouse visa previously. I got a spouse visa after having a fiance visa when we lived in the UK about 7 years ago. We subsequently moved to the US for my husband to take a job after finishing his PhD. We are now moving back to the UK for this new job. I don't know if they think poorly of those that move "back and forth". Any thoughts?

Since I have to change my flight reservations tomorrow, I just wondered how long I should push it out for? 1 week, 2 more weeks? Just not sure how long I should wait. I don't want to wait longer than necessary (especially around the holidays), but don't want to have to pay another $300 change fee either!

Thanks for any thoughts (or even encouragement!) lol
Jamie

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't really answer your questions, as I am pretty new to this forum, but I thought it might make you feel better to know you're not alone. I am in the same boat. I received an email from Sheffield saying they received my support documents on the same day as you received yours (11 November). We purchased the priority service also. It's hard when it seems like everyone experienced such quick turn-over, but we're just sitting and waiting. It's only been 6 days, but every day we don't hear something, we feel a little worse, and have a harder time with being separated. I can relate to the anxiety. Never in my life have I been more anxious. I check my email every five minutes, it seems like.

I can't tell you when you should re-schedule your flight for, but the process is definitely taking longer than it was last month. That's what is the hardest thing for us... just having to wait. If we knew, that we'd get it but it would take a certain amount of time, that would make things so much better. I have a whole heap load of things to take care of (sell my car, cancel my phone service, etc), but can't do anything until I get my visa.

It is really nice to know I'm not the only one waiting. I hope you feel the same way. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I paid for priority and received the confirmation email on November 13th but no decision yet. Like you I was reading here about the 48 hour decisions so i'm anxious as my case should be simple. Maybe they are processing a bit slower at the moment. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still nothing! Moved my flight to the 4th of Dec. Hope I don't have to move it again. My husband left for the UK uesterday. So the wait continues! Keep me posted when you hear something!

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Okay, so since this forum has been a huge help during the application process, I thought I'd register to get a bit of advice while I am (anxiously) waiting on my visa.

Here is my situation: I'm American, Husband is british, 1 dual-national child

I received my confirmation email on November 11th. I paid for the priority service through World Bridge.

I have to move my original flights (they were already booked in case of a miracle, since my husband has to leave that day to start his new job).

I have read other threads that stated that straightforward cases have heard a decision within 48 hours. I didn't read that anywhere else except on this forum. I believe our case to be pretty straightforward. The only "issues" could be that we don't have a place of residence established in the UK yet, as we are moving over to the UK at the same time. We did include a letter from my husband's parents stating that we had their permission to stay with them while we find a rental property.
It's fine to stay with family but if this is the only document you included regarding accommodation, it could be viewed as weak evidence. Did you also include their council tax bill which proves that they actually live there and their land registry or deed to prove that they actually own the property? Additionally, a property inspection is usually a good idea to prove there is no overcrowding.

I also included:
My passport
Birth certificate for me, husband, and child
copy of passport for husband (british and US - he is a naturalized US citizen too)
bank statements
Birth certificates were unnecessary.

Did you include 6 months of bank statements that correspond with the pay slips?

Did you include a letter of sponsorship from your husband and a letter of introduction from you?

6 months pay slips
Did you also include you husband's contract from his US job as well as a letter of employment?

current savings account balance
Unnecessary.

Letterhead UK job offer with salary and startdate
marriage certificate (we were married in the UK)
Did you also include a few things that attest to your relationship like utility bills and other bills addressed to each of you at the same address?

Application (including Appendix 2 and the sponsorship form)
Biometrics receipt
and priority service confirmation

There are no divorces or other children involved, but the only thing that could cause extra research for them, is that I have had a spouse visa previously. I got a spouse visa after having a fiance visa when we lived in the UK about 7 years ago. We subsequently moved to the US for my husband to take a job after finishing his PhD. We are now moving back to the UK for this new job. I don't know if they think poorly of those that move "back and forth". Any thoughts?
Makes no difference. As long as you abided by the rules of your previous visas, it's not an issue.

Since I have to change my flight reservations tomorrow, I just wondered how long I should push it out for? 1 week, 2 more weeks? Just not sure how long I should wait. I don't want to wait longer than necessary (especially around the holidays), but don't want to have to pay another $300 change fee either!
Every application is unique so there is no way to predict. UKBA states on their website that you shouldn't book travel until your visa is issued.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My husband and I are now wondering if the issues with the site update could be adding an additional delay in processing. The fact of the matter is that the process is definitely taking longer than it did in October. I guess it doesn't matter what's having an effect on times... it is what it is.

Hoping it's not much longer for both of us! Keep your head up. This bit is hard, but soon we'll be on the other side.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Lead-up to Christmas and New Year is always a busy time for visa applications, as people want to travel to be with their families or get settlement visa before the festive seasons.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It went well for me.

I got my visa pretty quickly.

Timeline:
Applied from: Canada, Ottawa
Type of visa: settlement spousal visa- Priority
Date Application submitted online: 8 nov
Date of Biometrics: 13 Nov
Sent off application using the courrier service of Worldbridge: 13 Nov
Documents Received by Sheffield UKBA office: Friday Nov 15
Date email received saying "a decision has been made": Wed Nov 20
Date visa received: November 21
Total working days until received: 13

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Still waiting here... My husband is flat hunting without me. Thank goodness for FaceTime!

I need to hear by the end of this week in order to avoid moving my flights...AGAIN!

Mrsnewtolondon, you still waiting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My husband is getting pretty impatient too! And since I am having to be a "single parent" and he is getting to pick out the accommodation, car, etc...and sick of missing out on all of the fun! Lol

Well, at least there are still a few hours left in the British business day. I check my emails until 11am my time at which point I give up and wait for the next day to start checking my emails like a crazy person!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My husband is getting pretty impatient too! And since I am having to be a "single parent" and he is getting to pick out the accommodation, car, etc...and sick of missing out on all of the fun! Lol

Well, at least there are still a few hours left in the British business day. I check my emails until 11am my time at which point I give up and wait for the next day to start checking my emails like a crazy person!
As the one actually in the UK I'm checking all frickin' day! :peep:

Its a most unpleasant kind of limbo to be in!

·
Registered
56 Posts
As my husband has confirmed, we have not received anything yet. It's harder and harder everyday, but all we can do is wait.

I do the exact same thing as you do. Until 11am here, we're constantly checking my email and seeing if we can begin our lives together.

I'm so sorry your little one is having to be separated from your husband and you're having to go it alone. Also that you're missing out on the fun. As you said, thank goodness for technology. Mofish and I have always used Skype and Facetime to get some face time, as it were, but we've realized just how important it is to us during this time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really hope you guys get your visas soon- because I submitted mine after! I admit I'm crazily checking my emails as well until about noon, and then I check this forum to see if anyone else in the same boat (like you guys!) have posted to the Timeline thread.

AHHHH! Going nuts!! Really hoping I can be with my husband for the holidays.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I GOT MY EMAIL TODAY AROUND NOON UK TIME.

It stated that a decision has been mde. I have tracked the package and it should be here by Friday!

Hopefully it has been approved and I will be UK bound next week. How mean that they make you wait until its in your hands to if its been approved \denied!

Well I just wanted to let you know. Maybe yours will be very soon!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.