Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to one and all. I am a Canadian who has just finished a working holdiay visa and found a job who has applied for my long term working visa in France. I am currently in Toronto but would like to know if anyone knows if I can go back to France and continue working for the company while I wait for the response (which will take upto 3 months) I know I must be in Canada to receive my visa but can I work in France while the visa is pending?
I am very lost and am not getting answers from any consulates. Has anyone been through a similar situation?

thanks so much for the help!!

·
Administrator
51,556 Posts
Have moved this out into a thread of its own, as the thread you were replying to was pretty old.

Technically, no, you can't start working the job until the visa comes through. Both you and your employer can get into big trouble if you don't play this thing by the rules.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have moved this out into a thread of its own, as the thread you were replying to was pretty old.

Technically, no, you can't start working the job until the visa comes through. Both you and your employer can get into big trouble if you don't play this thing by the rules.
Cheers,
Bev
Hi Bev, thanks so much for the response, I want to ensure that nothing i do will jeopordize my chances of getting the visa. Do you have a long term visa? Was the experience difficult?

·
Administrator
51,556 Posts
Hi Bev, thanks so much for the response, I want to ensure that nothing i do will jeopordize my chances of getting the visa. Do you have a long term visa? Was the experience difficult?
I will confess that I have never held a visa for France - but that was a long time ago and I did run into considerable trouble. The rules have changed significantly since then (and to a large extent are MUCH clearer than when I did my stint as a "sans papiers").

The one potential glitch you have to watch out for is that many employers believe that "anyone" can sponsor a foreign candidate for employment. It's not nearly as easy as that. And how do I know this? When I had my immigration problems, my husband said he would hire me - he has his own business - and that didn't fly. There is a process the employer needs to go through with the Ministry of Labor that involves justifying the hiring of a foreigner. Not said to discourage you, but just so that you know the potential issues your employer-to-be may come up against.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.