Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
It depends what you want it for. If it's just for your mobile phone, Tunnelbear is ok and is free up to a certain amount of data per month.

If you're talking about a DNS to watch TV via the internet, I use UNOtelly. This doesn't slow down the speed at all, is very reliable and their customer service is amazingly good. They will respond within minutes usually.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use overplay.
Individual dns switches so you can have netflix US and bbc iplayer ect without having to switch.
The vpn client for the pc has loads of servers.
Agree , its all you need to know.

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
I tried several but NordVPN is the best for iPlayer etc because it has so many servers in the UK. If the BBC blocks one, it immediately switches to another one.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've recently started using Streamlocator.
Only for TV, as I have no other use for one, it's been easy to set up and use and faultless so far.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Smart DNS doesn’t work for me for TV on 4G internet due to regular IP address change. Do VPN s have the same problem?

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
Smart DNS doesn’t work for me for TV on 4G internet due to regular IP address change. Do VPN s have the same problem?
We also have a dynamic IP address setup and our VPN (Nord) works fine. But I believe you can set up a static IP address if you know your way around the inner reaches of your operating system.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
We asked Movistar, which was a series of put on hold- call dropped, before predictably being advised we couldn’t have a fixed Ip address. Our DNS subscription still works until the Ip changes then the Apps - particularly iplayer play up and stop working as understandably as they have spotted you trying to access from a Spanish Ip address. I would be interested if anyone can explain how I can set up a static Ip address.

i have n the past stayed away from VPNs as they “ slow the internet ( only about 12 meg as it is) and content providers apparently regularly block access) . Maybe I need to revisit it and have a look at Nord.

·
Registered
15,901 Posts
We asked Movistar, which was a series of put on hold- call dropped, before predictably being advised we couldn’t have a fixed Ip address. Our DNS subscription still works until the Ip changes then the Apps - particularly iplayer play up and stop working as understandably as they have spotted you trying to access from a Spanish Ip address. I would be interested if anyone can explain how I can set up a static Ip address.

i have n the past stayed away from VPNs as they “ slow the internet ( only about 12 meg as it is) and content providers apparently regularly block access) . Maybe I need to revisit it and have a look at Nord.
There are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to set up a static IP address.

I get still get speeds over 100 mbps when Nord is on, it hardly makes a difference. And because it has over 50 servers in the UK, if the BBC or whoever blocks one of them, it quickly switches to another. We've had it six months now and not had a problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think there is some confusion going on here - you can indeed set a static IP on any of the devices on your own network, but you more than likely cannot do so on the outward facing internet router (for many reasons - IPv4 scope exhaustion being a prime one). That's controlled at the ISP's end via a DHCP server that gives you the address that happens to be free when your equipment comes online. That address has an expiry where it asks to be renewed (typically 7 days but it's tunable). Per the IETF DHCP specs the device should get the exact same address every time it renews, but you could run into a situation where the ISP has forced a change.

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know about SHCP/static IPs etc.

On the other hand, VPNs are an excellent way to bypass geofencing restrictions and the overhead they use has gotten a lot better over the years. I can't recommend a specific provider in Spain, but any of the well-reviewed and trusted vendors should be fine. Using that basically masks your IP to be the endpoint at the VPN provider's site, which is how you get around your device "being" in another country. So therefore when using a VPN you route all of the internet-bound traffic through the VPN provider's network, where it then leaves to get to the destination you wanted. Much different than how DNS works.

Make sense?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Smart DNS is the way to go.
I have our LG smart tv set with DNS via Nord but its a bit hit and miss. Cant get channel 4 and the ITV player runs as long as you dont mind 20mins of adverts between each programme.

On the laptop with the VPN though they all work although C4 still plays up.

The VPN doesn't seem to slow the internet down but I tend to download all my youtube videos at night to watch the next day (or week) anyway.

i dont watch Tv so Im not really bothered (but it keeps the wife quiet). :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
We have been using Smart DNS proxy with no problems with BBC iPlayer, ITV hub or Channel 5, although we now cannot get a subscription with Amazon Prime or Kindle unlimited from their UK site. The problem with Amazon is they check the address of your credit/Debit card, and we only have our Spanish address even though we have UK debit and credit cards. Before the end of the Brexit transition period we had no problem with Kindle unlimited.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have been using Smart DNS proxy with no problems with BBC iPlayer, ITV hub or Channel 5, although we now cannot get a subscription with Amazon Prime or Kindle unlimited from their UK site. The problem with Amazon is they check the address of your credit/Debit card, and we only have our Spanish address even though we have UK debit and credit cards. Before the end of the Brexit transition period we had no problem with Kindle unlimited.
You can sign up for Prime Spain, I still get lots of movies and of course all the Amazon TV and kindle unlimited and its half the uk cost. Think it is €39 a year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts