Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to register as a voter in the UK ; I have been registered within the last 15 years so am entitled to do so

HOWEVER , when I look at the electoral registration website it states that the postal vote form may not be sent out until 4 days before election day but that it must be returned by election day to be valid

clearly that means that I will not be able to make a postal vote !!!

I don't like the idea of a proxy vote ...what can I do ?

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Good question!

For many years when living in the UK I had a postal vote because I was often travelling on business. I seemed to remember that in practice there was always plenty of time to return the envelope, but it was within the UK. I seem to remember that Returning Officers want to get the postal votes "done and dusted" well before voting day, so there should be plenty of time.

On a broader issue I used to be active in local politics, and certainly I thought of voting as a civic duty. Now in France the idea of voting in the UK is becoming dimmer and dimmer. I'm registered here in France, and as a UE citizen in France I can vote in the Municipales and the European elections, but not for the Leglislatives and Presidential elections.

DejW

I intend to register as a voter in the UK ; I have been registered within the last 15 years so am entitled to do so

HOWEVER , when I look at the electoral registration website it states that the postal vote form may not be sent out until 4 days before election day but that it must be returned by election day to be valid

clearly that means that I will not be able to make a postal vote !!!

I don't like the idea of a proxy vote ...what can I do ?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
as I see it , I can't vote in national elections in france and the UK is my only option

in reality all my income has it's origin in the UK , and what the government does severely affects me ; so if I don't vote I have no-one to blame except myself

as mentioned elsewhere here this government has already cut my income once and now proposes to do so again

by the sound of it you haven't been registered to vote in the uk for the last 15 years so are disenfranchised anyway

btw , further research indicates that the problem has been recognised , and the commission expects the government to legislate to extend the period of the election ...but they said that in 2011 !!! at a guess the current government feels that all those pensioners overseas won't vote for them and is dragging it's heels

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm the exact polar opposite in my situation re voting. Yesterday 31 Dec 2013, just in time I found out, I registered to vote here in France and as an EU Citizen I can do so in the Municipal and Euro elections this year and will be doing so and know which party to support. I have been interested and active in Politics for 45 years, since I was 15, an have twice been a Borough Councillor and assisted in elections of all types. I am not as yet fluent in French but can pick up the issues both National and Local via the internet.

What I will NOT be doing is to vote again in the UK. I am in the process of selling my flat there and as soon as I have I will have no further material interests in Britain and apart for visiting friends every year I will not be returning there. Also I will not be paying UK Income Tax, nor Council Tax once my flat is off of my hands, so to turn the famous American maxim on its head "No Representation without Taxation" I do not consider it right for me to continue to vote in a Borough and Country where I no longer live nor contribute. Indeed once the flat is sold I shall write to the Electoral Registration Office in my former home town to remove my name from their Electoral Register to prevent what is called "Personation" where somebody wrongly votes pretending to be an absentee elector.

Apart from those ex-pats who are on fixed period contracts and will be returning to the UK or those who still have property or other interests in the UK I do NOT agree that those who have left the Country and do not intend to return should still have a vote in its Elections.

·
Administrator
50,439 Posts
Steve, I fully agree with you on the voting issue. In the US, we retain our right to vote just about forever - though I suppose that's because we retain the obligation to pay taxes to the US forever, too, and without regard to where in the world we are living. That's another rant for another day - but suffice it to say, I don't vote anymore back in the US. I live here in France, and therefore I vote here (though I did have to take French nationality to get to that stage).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
856 Posts
Steve, I fully agree with you on the voting issue. In the US, we retain our right to vote just about forever - though I suppose that's because we retain the obligation to pay taxes to the US forever, too, and without regard to where in the world we are living. That's another rant for another day - but suffice it to say, I don't vote anymore back in the US. I live here in France, and therefore I vote here (though I did have to take French nationality to get to that stage).
Cheers,
Bev
Yes AFAIK I will only be able to vote in the Municipal and Euro Elections, not for The President or the National Assembly, until, I as I hope to one day, get French Nationality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.