Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard recently that if you are entitled to vote in Spain but you do not use your vote, your vote is automatically given to the present ruling party. Anyone know if this is true??

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I heard recently that if you are entitled to vote in Spain but you do not use your vote, your vote is automatically given to the present ruling party. Anyone know if this is true??
I heard that it was to whichever party already has the most votes which, to me, sounds pointless.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
If in doubt, go on polling day and cross the paper from top to bottom.
You haven't voted here have you? It don't work like that!

Prior to the election, you will get envelopes from each of the parties with a list of their candidates on a slip of paper. You put the slip of paper in the envelope (I always mix and match the slips and envelopes so that the invigilators don't know which party I am voting for) then put your envelope in the voting box which is of transparent plastic so that you can't slip anything else (e.g. a lighted cigarette) in without it being seen.

When the slips are counted, the allocation of seats is based on the number of slips each party gets. The election of members is based on the order of names on the slip. If a party gains five seats, then the first five on the list are elected, etc.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Voting

You haven't voted here have you? It don't work like that!

Prior to the election, you will get envelopes from each of the parties with a list of their candidates on a slip of paper. You put the slip of paper in the envelope (I always mix and match the slips and envelopes so that the invigilators don't know which party I am voting for) then put your envelope in the voting box which is of transparent plastic so that you can't slip anything else (e.g. a lighted cigarette) in without it being seen.

When the slips are counted, the allocation of seats is based on the number of slips each party gets. The election of members is based on the order of names on the slip. If a party gains five seats, then the first five on the list are elected, etc.
Yes, I did last year and I remember being asked to choose from slips laid out on a desk. Perhaps there is a different format in Cadiz. To me the most important bit would be when they cross your name off the list, not whether you are juggling slips and envelopes.

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
I have spent the morning driving around in my car which has been equipped with a loudspeaker and festooned with posters. I expect to be doing more of the same until Sunday 24 May. I hope all of you will use your vote if you have one and use it the right (left) way;)

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
I have spent the morning driving around in my car which has been equipped with a loudspeaker and festooned with posters. I expect to be doing more of the same until Sunday 24 May. I hope all of you will use your vote if you have one and use it the right (left) way;)
Definitely! Good luck - I look forward to seeing the video. :D

·
Registered
22,341 Posts
Definitely! Good luck - I look forward to seeing the video. :D
Thanks, much appreciated:):)xx

Nobody told us to **** off or made rude gestures, in fact the opposite. We were told some sad stories of job losses, often many in the same family.
No video as yet but pix of the 'Battle Bus' on FB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts