Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP! My fiance was born in London and recently returned to London from living in New Zealand. I am New Zealand born.
Apparently on a NZ passport I can't volunteer on either a fiance or visitor visa so am thinking of applying for a tier 5 volunteer visa for 6 months and then a fiance visa after that. Reason why is we don't want to rush our wedding plans as I will be new to london so would like the time to get to know the place, settle and look at wedding venues etc. (Fiance visa rule is have to be married within the 6 months)I also don't want to be stuck at home which is why volunteer visa appeals to me.

My question is.... Can I apply for a volunteer visa from new zealand and then change to a fiance visa from the uk While there? ? We will have wedding details by then and get married ASAP once changed to fiance visa so I can still hopefully volunteer/work.

**i don't need to work as my fiance earns enough but sitting around at home would drive me nuts!

I am in the process of packing, sorting things out here in nz before going to london in near future. Just curious if my plan is doable.

Thank you

Macca

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
The answer is no, if your Tier 5 visa is for 6 months or less. And you can't apply for fiancé(e) visa within UK no matter what kind of visa you hold - you marry during the validity of your existing visa and then switch to leave to remain as spouse. But to be able to marry and to switch your visa within UK, your existing visa must have been issued for longer than 6 months originally.

I suggest you go as visitor, stay long enough to familiarise yourself, then return home and apply for fiancé(e) visa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your response
so. ..if then if I applied for a "one year" Tier 5 volunteer visa with a registered charity company in the uk, after 6 months being on that visa I could then apply for a fiancé visa while still in the uk? Just wanting to confirm..thank you :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
No, you don't apply for a fiance visa in the UK. That is a visa for outside applicants to first join their partner in the UK. You would marry whilst on the Tier 5 visa and then immediately switch into a spouse visa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ahh thank you!

Could you possibly show me a link that states I can marry on a volunteer Tier 5 visa without returning back to nz and then can switch to spouse visa?

Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.