Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Is anyone aware of any opportunities to do voluntary work in Dubai ? (other than dog charities)

My better half is looking to give some of her time perhaps to a charity, hospital or similar ..... she's 50 something and a retired senior nurse (but not transferring her registration here).

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Isnt there a charity that goes around handing out water and other useful items to the outdoor workers during the hot summer months ?

I recall at my last company a lot of people did just that during the lunch shutdown but cannot remember if they just did it, or whether its a charity.

There's also groups that do baby blanket knitting although I am fairly certain half of that is about the nattering and coffee & cake that goes with the group meetings.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isnt there a charity that goes around handing out water and other useful items to the outdoor workers during the hot summer months ?

I recall at my last company a lot of people did just that during the lunch shutdown but cannot remember if they just did it, or whether its a charity.

There's also groups that do baby blanket knitting although I am fairly certain half of that is about the nattering and coffee & cake that goes with the group meetings.
Thanks TWG .... we've actually found a couple of places that distribute essentials to some of the labour camps .... I'm certainly not going to sit at home listening to the clatter of knitting :D ....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi All

Is anyone aware of any opportunities to do voluntary work in Dubai ? (other than dog charities)

My better half is looking to give some of her time perhaps to a charity, hospital or similar ..... she's 50 something and a retired senior nurse (but not transferring her registration here).

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
Hey UKMS

Finally here in Dubai!

Anyway, bought a book entitled residents guide to dubai and there is a section on volunteering. Thought I'd list some which you can Google to find out more:

All as one - non profit, focus on war torn chikdren;
Breast cancer arabia;
Dubai cares - education for children;
Medecins sans frontiers - non profit emergency medical; and
Riding for the disabled association of dubai - children with special needs.

Also, when I arrived here I installed an app called meetup which has various groups on there.

Theses groups may be a good way of reaching out to the wider expat community. Alternatively, your other half could create her own group to see if anyone is aware of such events.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey UKMS

Finally here in Dubai!

Anyway, bought a book entitled residents guide to dubai and there is a section on volunteering. Thought I'd list some which you can Google to find out more:

All as one - non profit, focus on war torn chikdren;
Breast cancer arabia;
Dubai cares - education for children;
Medecins sans frontiers - non profit emergency medical; and
Riding for the disabled association of dubai - children with special needs.

Also, when I arrived here I installed an app called meetup which has various groups on there.

Theses groups may be a good way of reaching out to the wider expat community. Alternatively, your other half could create her own group to see if anyone is aware of such events.
Thanks for this .... very helpful !

Glad to see you made it out here :) ..... everything all worked out well with the job ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for this .... very helpful !

Glad to see you made it out here :) ..... everything all worked out well with the job ?
Hey UKMS.

Yes, very well thanks. Work with a good team and there is definitely a very good work / life balance.

Forgot to mention in my previous post. Has your partner looked at the dubai volunteering centre? It's run by the community development agency. Their number is 0800 2121. They have a website at cda.gov.ae.

Also check out volunteerindubai.com

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.