Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My situation: 33 year old eligible for EU passport. I am seeking U.S. Veterans Administration vocational training benefits and would like to go to Britain or Ireland for training. I would guess Britain is the better bet, as I may find an easier time getting work in Australia or New Zealand...should I have to leave the EU.

I've looked online for quality vocational schools for adults wanting to learn a trade. I have seen one or two specifically for employers sponsoring existing employees, but nothing else.

I have a degree in political science and have gotten no where with it. I think about the future and outsourcing/automation etc.

Why not learn a trade?

·
Super Moderator
5,194 Posts
Do you have an idea as to what you'd like to re-train for?

If so, why not contact the trade's UK governing body to see what courses/schools they recommend would-be apprentices apply to and go from there... i.e. I was a pharmacy technician in Canada, so I looked on the General Pharmaceutical Council's website to see what they had to say about my Canadian training/experience and it listed a bunch of places I could inquire about taking bridging courses to get me up to the Council's standard.

As an EU passport holder, you shouldn't have trouble coming over to go to school, however it is questionable as to whether or not you qualify for "Home" fees or not, as you will have to have been ordinarily resident in the EEA for three years... look here to see if you qualify.

Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
1,946 Posts
My situation: 33 year old eligible for EU passport. I am seeking U.S. Veterans Administration vocational training benefits and would like to go to Britain or Ireland for training. I would guess Britain is the better bet, as I may find an easier time getting work in Australia or New Zealand...should I have to leave the EU.

I've looked online for quality vocational schools for adults wanting to learn a trade. I have seen one or two specifically for employers sponsoring existing employees, but nothing else.

I have a degree in political science and have gotten no where with it. I think about the future and outsourcing/automation etc.

Why not learn a trade?
I don't think there is an age limit for attending College (term is used differently from US) you might end up among a lot of Teenagers but I know a few people who have gone to College for a career change in their late 20s and 30s.

For example:

A Levels, Vocational, Apprenticeships and University Level

·
Registered
24 Posts
IrishAmerican30+toEurope,

I am an ex u.s. serviceman in the UK using the GI Bill and when I looked into the VA benefits (post 9/11 gi bill mainly) for use in an overseas location it had to be an approved degree program. I contacted the VA rep at RAF Lakenheath and she confirmed this ( this was in 2012) She said that I couldn't do training as an electrician as it would not give me a degree level certificate. What VA educational benefit are you looking at using? Don't want to dishearten you at all but the info that I have received made this impossible.

Good luck dude!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much. I used the GI Bill to get my Bachelor's Degree.

I applied for Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits a month or so on the eBenefits website and the VA scheduled me a May 27, 2015 meeting with a counselor.

They will make the determination on whether or not I warrant benefits for education under Chapter 31.

I have no idea whether I will or not.

I do not fall under the criteria for establishing legal residency, but I'm hoping I can establish legal residency in Ireland and then apply for those benefits anyway. As my purpose for requesting benefits would be the same as the people who are marrying foreign nationals: to learn skills to make me employable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking Polysomnographic technician (the person who tests people for sleep disorders) OR traditional trades like Plumbing and Electrician. I am a little worried that no one would want to hire a an older, foreign plumber or electrician who is 15 years older than the average apprentice.

But I do like the idea of it being a basic skill set that I can take anywhere with me in the world.

Lastly, I have always had an interest in wireless internet and would be interested in learning how to install and maintain that technology. I guess it would be some kind of utility work.

So I'm looking at Medical technician, Plumber/Electrician and a wireless internet guy. Not sure what the name of that job is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe the someone who installs and maintains the physical equipment for wireless networks would fall under Telecommunications. I could be wrong.

Looks like there are courses and apprenticeships (closed till 2016) in Ireland for that field. FETAC and the Irish institutes of technology are where I would likely be attending.

Now to find one within reasonable driving distance from my intended home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.