Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently, my parents have applied for Visitor visa under Tourist stream (sub class 300).

Happy to say that their visa has been granted, but we are in a confusion of what exactly the following terms mean regarding the stay period and validity of the visa.

Visa Stream Tourist
Visa Grant Date 05 May 2015
Stay For/Until 6 Month(s)
Entries Multiple
Last Date to Arrive 05 May 2017

Conditions:
8101 - NO WORK
8201 - MAX 3 MONTHS STUDY
8558 - MAX 12M STAY IN 18M

Does it mean that they can stay only for 6 months in Australia but the validity of their visa is for 2 years from now? If its only for 6 months then why to mention 'multiple entries'? I mean its not possible for them anyhow to come on multiple entries just within 6 months isn't it? Does it mean that they can stay for 6 months now and then go back to India and again come to Aus and stay for 6 months?

If their stay is only for 6 months then why in conditions they have mentioned that max 12M stay in 18M ? Are these conditions general or specific to their stay?

Could anyone please explain clearly?

Thanks in advance.

- Anjalee

·
Registered
960 Posts
As per the grant, you're entitled to make multiple entries but cannot exceed your continuous stay beyond 6 months. In your case it may not be possible to make multiple trips but the visa is generic.
Also, there is no restriction on the number of entries in 6 months, you can make multiple.
12M in 18M makes them eligible to travel on multiple occasions, even though continuous stay is only 6 months, they can stay a total of 12 M in a 18 M period. You can perform all permutations and combinations on how to best use the visa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I got a serious confusion regarding my mother visa which is subclass 600. She was granted visa on 27th Aug 2013, she arrived in Australia on 30th Aug 2013 and departed on 20th Aug 2014. Then she came back on 11th June 2015 and planning to leave around mid February 2016. Now, last date to arrive on her visa is 27th Aug 2016. My question is if she comes back to Australia before last date to arrive, say around mid August, can she stay for another 12 months or not? Please help.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Yes, as long as she doesn't breach any condition not to be in Australia more than 12 months in an 18-month period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for reply Maggie. The thing which is confusing me a lot is when 18 months period start- does it start from the date you arrive in Australia. For example my mum came on 11th June 2015 after staying overseas for almost 10 months. Now if I take that 18 months period starting from 11th June 2015, it will end on 11th Dec 2016. So, my mum is planning to leave on 15th feb 2016 and thinking about coming on 15th Aug 2016, which is a 6 month gap. Now her last day to arrive on this visa is 27th August 2016. So, covering 8 months from June 2015-Feb 2016 , she will be left with only 4 months I suppose until Dec 2016. I see no point giving her so much trouble for only 4 months if thats the case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts