Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I’m applying for visitor visa (subclasss 600). Is it mandatory to take medical insurance before filing application or can I take it after visa granted?

Kind regards,
Guru

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it is required, it will be specified in the visa grant notice (condition 8501) and you will only need to ensure it is taken when you arrive (so set the start date for it to your arrival date). My mother-in-law just arrived 2 days ago and I took it for just a day before she arrived.

So basically you would take it after the visa is granted.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rahul.

Out of curiosity, may I know howmuch time it took to get visitor visa in your case? My friends are telling me that it can take anywhere from 7 days to 2 months after submitting medicals.

Kind regards,
Guru

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not sure about the 2 months but in my mother-in-law's case it took about 20 days after completing medicals.

4th Jul - Submitted application
6th Jul - s56 Request for more information (asking to do medicals)
~13th Jul - Did medicals
3rd Aug - Visa granted

Note that the place where she did her medicals did take a week-10 days to upload her results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure about the 2 months but in my mother-in-law's case it took about 20 days after completing medicals.

4th Jul - Submitted application
6th Jul - s56 Request for more information (asking to do medicals)
~13th Jul - Did medicals
3rd Aug - Visa granted

Note that the place where she did her medicals did take a week-10 days to upload her results.
Hi Rahul,

Can I apply for a visa online and will it still be required for my parents need to go to VFS office to submit documents? Also my parents passport expires in June18 and I am planning to get them from Feb-April18, will it effect the visa outcome?

thanks

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Rahul,

Can I apply for a visa online and will it still be required for my parents need to go to VFS office to submit documents? Also my parents passport expires in June18 and I am planning to get them from Feb-April18, will it effect the visa outcome?

thanks
Yes, you can apply online and no, there won't be any requirement for them to visit VFS. At least my mother-in-law did not have to visit the VFS or the Australian HC in Delhi. She did, however have to travel to Delhi to get her medicals done as that was the closest to her home town.

Regarding minimum validity of your passport, I am not able to find any information on the Australian HC website in India. However, it is possible that they don't have any such requirement based on the below websites:

Passport Validity
immi_travel

Please note that the above 2 websites are the NZ and UK websites. You should contact the Australian HC in Delhi or the VFS to confirm this information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts