Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am an Australian PR holder living in Brisbane for the last 14 months. I got married few months back and I have been thinking of taking my wife to Australia. Since the processing time for spouse visa is more than 6 months, would I be able to apply visitor for my wife while I am waiting for the spouse visa? If so, which visa should I apply first? Tourist visa first or Spouse visa first then followed by a tourist visa along with a note on the tourist visa saying that spouse visa has been applied, but tourist visa is required so that she can join with me sooner.

Overall, what are the chances of getting tourist visa for my wife? If anyone is in the same state as mine , please share your thoughts, your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi dksubramani,

unfortunately that is only rarely possible because visitor visas are only meant for genuine visitors who plan to leave the country afterwards. See Family Migration - Questions and Answers:

I lodged my family stream visa application outside Australia. Can I have a visitor visa while I am waiting for my permanent visa so that I can be with my family in Australia during the processing?

Visitor visas should not be used for long-term stays, for residence in Australia or for the purpose of remaining in Australia for extended periods to await a migration outcome.

When applying for a visitor visa you must meet all requirements, including the genuine visitor criterion, for that visa to be granted. The periods of time an applicant has spent in and out of Australia are taken into account in deciding a visitor visa application.

Applicants who travel to Australia on a temporary visa while waiting for their family stream visa application to be processed by an immigration office outside Australia should inform the processing office about their planned visit to Australia.

If an application for a family stream visa was made outside Australia the visa generally cannot be granted while the applicant is in Australia. The exception is where a combined application was made for a subclass 309 (provisional) partner visa and a subclass 100 (migrant) partner visa. In such cases the permanent partner visa may be granted in Australia provided the applicant holds the subclass 309 visa.
They don't even make exceptions for pregnant partners of Australian citizens who would like to come to Australia earlier for the delivery, so it's unlikely that your scheme would work ;). Congratulations on your marriage, though, and I wish you a speedy grant!

All the best,
Monika

1 - 3 of 3 Posts