Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a question, i have met my fiance 10 years ago online, we are in a long distance relation now for some months, we want to get married and apply for a visitor for marriage visa, can i get the visa even if we havent been together in person yet? As i saw on the requirements, they dont mention it. Please help

·
Registered
39,078 Posts
You mean living together? No, that's not a requirement. Some don't for religious, cultural or personal reasons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean we havent been together, our relation has always been by the internet, thats my concern, if we have to meet first for applying to this visitor for marriage visa?

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
I mean we havent been together, our relation has always been by the internet, thats my concern, if we have to meet first for applying to this visitor for marriage visa?
while it is a fact that the UKBA does not specifically mention meeting one's prospective partner on the visitor marriage visa, one of the requirements of the issuing of the visa is that "The UK Immigration Rules make it clear that it is your responsibility to satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer that you are genuinely seeking entry to the UK for the purpose and duration that you have stated."

Apart from providing evidence of booking a wedding/civil partnership in the UK they will be looking for evidence of a true and genuine relationship - internet correspondence is not going to cut it. You need photographs of meetings, events, vacations together etc.

I don't think you stand much chance of a visa truthfully.

·
Registered
39,078 Posts
While Home Office isn't too bothered about the relationship of those marrying who aren't going to set up home in UK, it's more of a general thing about committing your life with someone you've never met. Also should in future you want to settle in UK, questions will be asked about whether you have met and a non-genuine relationship will disqualify for a visa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.