Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few queries regarding a visitor visa for marriage.

A brief overview is, I am a british citizen and my partner is a us citizen. We have been together for 2.5 years, during this time we spent a year travelling together and have since then been visiting each other regularly and for extended periods on tourist visas. On her latest visit (at the end of Aug 12) she was denied entry when she told the immigration officer we intended to apply for a visa for her to stay in the uk (too honest it would seem).

After much discussion we have deciced we would prefer to live in America, but would like to marry in the UK. After the wedding she will return to states and I will begin my application for spouse settlement there and see if my company could offer a transfer or begin looking for work.

1. So as far as I can see the the visitor visa for marriage should fit the bill? I do meet the financial requirements for the fiancée visa but it looks like this is not required if not applying for settlement?

2. I currently have full time employment in UK. She has been made redundant in the US. Is she allowed multiple entries on this visa, so that she can be here to plan for the wedding and return to the us for interviews (she will use airmiles if a good prospect arises). And will ukba look unfavourably on her not working - I can support her?

3. Can anyone advice on the documents that should be submitted with the application? Is the only proof needed the notice of intention to marry? Can this be towards the ends of the 6 month period.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have a few queries regarding a visitor visa for marriage.

A brief overview is, I am a british citizen and my partner is a us citizen. We have been together for 2.5 years, during this time we spent a year travelling together and have since then been visiting each other regularly and for extended periods on tourist visas. On her latest visit (at the end of Aug 12) she was denied entry when she told the immigration officer we intended to apply for a visa for her to stay in the uk (too honest it would seem).

After much discussion we have deciced we would prefer to live in America, but would like to marry in the UK. After the wedding she will return to states and I will begin my application for spouse settlement there and see if my company could offer a transfer or begin looking for work.

1. So as far as I can see the the visitor visa for marriage should fit the bill? I do meet the financial requirements for the fiancée visa but it looks like this is not required if not applying for settlement?
That's correct. The fiancé visa is for people wanting to marry and then settle in the UK, and so is much more demanding on requirements. The Marriage Visitor Visa is much simpler and more akin to a general visitor visa.

2. I currently have full time employment in UK. She has been made redundant in the US. Is she allowed multiple entries on this visa, so that she can be here to plan for the wedding and return to the us for interviews (she will use airmiles if a good prospect arises).
Yes, that's fine before you're married (the visa should bear the mark MULT for multi-entry). There might be a problem in her being allowed back into the UK after you're married (it depends on the border official on the day) so if she can keep her trips to the period before your marriage she should be fine.

And will ukba look unfavourably on her not working - I can support her?
She would need to prove that she has intention of returning (booking her return flight would be an enormous help in this) and would need to demonstrate that she has sufficient means to support herself financially (in other words, she won't be secretly seeking work or benefits). You would therefore need to write a supporting letter explaining your plans in marrying in the UK but ultimately going to live in the US, and whilst she is in the UK you will be supporting her financially. Also, she could give evidence that she's currently applying for jobs in the US - another indication that she intends to return.

3. Can anyone advice on the documents that should be submitted with the application? Is the only proof needed the notice of intention to marry? Can this be towards the ends of the 6 month period.
The date you marry can be at any point in the six-month period provided she doesn't overstay. Yes, you must provide proof of your intention to marry (this might just include location details and possible dates, together with plans for the day such as approximate number of guests, what is planned for after the wedding etc).

Advice on the procedures and supporting documentation needed is here: UK Border Agency | Visitors for marriage or civil partnership

·
Registered
39,033 Posts
Because of denied entry, her application will attract extra scrutiny. It really is important to demonstrate she has no plans whatsoever to settle in UK or do so illegally (that would be their suspicions). Your intention to apply for US immigrant visa (probably CR1 visa) should be clearly stated in your letter of support/sponsorship.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.