Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I hope someone will have an answer for me here. I recently married my UK spouse in the UK as a visitor for marriage because he lives in France, and we thought we'd settle there.

However, we are now thinking maybe settling in the UK would be better.

My question is, I understand the Visitor for Marriage Visa is one that can't be "switched". I'm already back in the US. Can we apply for a spousal visa now or do I have to wait until the visitor for marriage visa expires in 6 months. Will they frown upon our change of mind?

Also, since he's been in France for the past 8 years or so, will he need to return to the UK for a period of time before we can apply?

Thanks!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Uhm... My opinion is that your husband needs to go back to Uk because he needs to show that he is stable and settled in UK to be able to sponsor you to come to Uk and live with him, he needs to meet the financial requirement too and i think, it's better to wait for the visitor for marriage to end before applying for spouse visa just to be on the safe side, also that will give your aponsor time to produce all the necessary documents to support your application.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply, Pultet. My husband is contracted in France by a UK company, so he's already paid in a UK bank. Hopefully, that will help on that point.

Not happy to hear we should wait for the Visitor for Marriage visa to expire as it won't until May! Ack! :(

Any confirming or differing opinions on that?

·
Super Moderator
18,015 Posts
Uhm... My opinion is that your husband needs to go back to Uk because he needs to show that he is stable and settled in UK to be able to sponsor you to come to Uk and live with him, he needs to meet the financial requirement too and i think, it's better to wait for the visitor for marriage to end before applying for spouse visa just to be on the safe side, also that will give your aponsor time to produce all the necessary documents to support your application.
Lots of incorrect assumptions.

Since you're now married and have returned to the US, you're visa is basically no longer valid. You don't have to wait for the valid to date.

You can apply for a spouse visa but your husband has to meet the financial and accommodation requirements and the 2 of you have to prove your relationship.

Since he's been living in France he'll have to have been earning £18,600/year or more and he'll have to have a job lined up in the UK earning the same or more within 3 month's of when you both want to move to the UK. If that's not possible he'll have to return to the UK, find a job earning £18,600 or more and after he's had had the job for 6 months, then you can apply to join him from the US.

He'll also have to have accommodation lined up.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Like i said, only my opinion.

So there you go you don't need to wait for the visitor for marriage to end :D

Good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.