Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, was hoping someone could help.

I was in the UK for two years under a YMS visa; I left when it expired in February, and came back home to Canada. However, my parents were inspired by me, so my dad got his UK ancestry visa and is currently living in London with my mum.

I'm close to my parents, and they feel bad that they didn't move there until six months or so before I left, so they wanted me to fly over to stay with them for a few weeks in June (approximately four months since I left the UK).

I've been housesitting for them here in Canada, so I don't have any proof of rent beyond a letter from them, but I'd have:
- Plans to adopt a cat after my return (would get letter from current owner, who's moving abroad herself soon after I return)
- A job which is allowing me to take this holiday, so I'd get a letter from them stating my expected date of return
- My parents being in the UK (I'd get a letter from them and also photocopies of their visas if that's necessary)
- Money in my bank account
- A return ticket for two or three weeks later

Should I apply for a visitor's visa ahead of time, or just hope that they recognize that I'm there for legitimate reasons and don't plan to stay on? Are there any other documents/any other kind of proof I could bring with? I plan to apply for an ancestry visa one day (years and years down the line), so I definitely don't want to do anything to jeopardize my chances.

Also: there's a small chance that my aunt (who is in her sixties) will manage to get up the courage to travel and see them in the autumn (she's never traveled abroad before). She mentioned that she would only go if I went with her so that she didn't have to be so scared of flying. This trip would only be a couple of weeks. Would it be possible to do this as well, given all of the above and the fact that I was accompanying my relative?

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
39,149 Posts
I think you will be ok for either trip.
Make sure you get a full letter off your parents that you are staying with them, and they will be responsible for day-to-day expense other than purely personal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.