Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lived in the US for 3 years on a student visa while doing an MBA and then 4 years on an H1b. I left the US in June 2011 to come back to Europe. I am looking at visiting in August for a couple of months as my work will be in a dead period and I can take a bunch of time. I have a couple of questions though

1 - what visa should I get for the US? A visitor visa or visa waiver? Does it make a difference? Someone said that there might be a chance of having a hard time getting in if I am looking to visit for 10 weeks and used to live there.

2 - I have thought about getting another Masters in the US. I would like to get a Masters in Education to allow me to teach high school. Can you get two student visas for two masters or would it be hard to get another one? If i visited colleges when I was there in August I understand that I cannot change a visa to a student visa and would have to come back to the UK to do the appropriate paperwork.

Very greatful for any help anyone can give !

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
1 - what visa should I get for the US? A visitor visa or visa waiver? Does it make a difference? Someone said that there might be a chance of having a hard time getting in if I am looking to visit for 10 weeks and used to live there. !
Depending on your nationality you qualify for Visa Waiver Program for up to 90 days. Otherwise B2. Your actual stay will be determined by the immigration official at point of entry.

2 - I have thought about getting another Masters in the US. I would like to get a Masters in Education to allow me to teach high school. Can you get two student visas for two masters or would it be hard to get another one? If i visited colleges when I was there in August I understand that I cannot change a visa to a student visa and would have to come back to the UK to do the appropriate paperwork.!
You have to be admitted to a US institution which will provide you with documentation for your visa application. Details are on travel.state.gov and uscis.gov

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on your nationality you qualify for Visa Waiver Program for up to 90 days. Otherwise B2. Your actual stay will be determined by the immigration official at point of entry.

You have to be admitted to a US institution which will provide you with documentation for your visa application. Details are on travel.state.gov and uscis.gov
I am British. I have plane ticket booked as saw a cheap flight on offer and will be in the US for 80 days.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
I am British. I have plane ticket booked as saw a cheap flight on offer and will be in the US for 80 days.
Eighty days is kind of a long "visit" but it is definitely within the limitations of the VWP and since you will have been away from the US for a full year before your visit, it should fly.

Be very sure to take with you proof of your need to return to the UK at the end of your stay: obviously your return ticket, but also evidence of employment, proof of residence or other obligations you must return for. With any luck, you won't need them, but if you do you'll be happy to have them with you!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also make sure not to overstay beyond the 90 days period allowed for a VWP country like yours or you could face fines or sanctions ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts