Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My friend's father is seriously ill(is on Vent now, not due to COVID). He is PR holder and about to apply for citizenship. I was wondering if he needs any permission from home affiars/immigration to travel to visit his father ? I tried to research and find 'condition 8570' and 'condition 8559'. But these are temporary and permanent protection visa holders/assylum seekers.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/seeking-permission-to-travel.aspx

Does that mean that PR holder/Citizen doesn't need formal permission/approval to visit overseas or is there something I am missing about it? Any urgent support would be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21,535 Posts
Hi All,

My friend's father is seriously ill(is on Vent now, not due to COVID). He is PR holder and about to apply for citizenship. I was wondering if he needs any permission from home affiars/immigration to travel to visit his father ? I tried to research and find 'condition 8570' and 'condition 8559'. But these are temporary and permanent protection visa holders/assylum seekers.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa-conditions-subsite/Pages/seeking-permission-to-travel.aspx

Does that mean that PR holder/Citizen doesn't need formal permission/approval to visit overseas or is there something I am missing about it? Any urgent support would be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance
PR holders and citizens need permission from DHA to leave the country
This is a special condition put by the government in view of covid to reduce travel

Cheers

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PR holders and citizens need permission from DHA to leave the country
This is a special condition put by the government in view of covid to reduce travel

Cheers
Thanks for prompt response. Can you provide any link as to how can we seek this permission and what forms do we need to fill for it?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exemption

I guess this is the link where we need to follow.
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/leaving-australia#toc-2
-----
"You are exempt if you are:

ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
an airline, maritime crew or associated safety worker
a New Zealand citizen holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
engaged in the day-to-day conduct of outbound freight
associated with essential work at Australian offshore facilities
travelling on official government business, including members of the Australian Defence Force.
You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems."
-----

They write there that if you are from overseas, and let's say received PR, came to Australia to activate it, and if you suddenly decided to go back overseas temporarily you don't need any exemption request for your leave because you are already exempted? am I right with my thoughts?

·
Registered
21,535 Posts
-----
"You are exempt if you are:

ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia
an airline, maritime crew or associated safety worker
a New Zealand citizen holding a Special Category (subclass 444) visa
engaged in the day-to-day conduct of outbound freight
associated with essential work at Australian offshore facilities
travelling on official government business, including members of the Australian Defence Force.
You are considered ordinarily resident in a country other than Australia if international movement records show that you’ve spent more time outside Australia than inside for the last 12 to 24 months. You do not need to carry a paper record of your movements with you. If required, Australian Border Force officers at airports can check your movement records in Departmental systems."
-----

They write there that if you are from overseas, and let's say received PR, came to Australia to activate it, and if you suddenly decided to go back overseas temporarily you don't need any exemption request for your leave because you are already exempted? am I right with my thoughts?
You are right
You have to check in the last 2 years how many days you were in Australia and how many days out

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts