Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone! I'm new to the forums and have a question on behalf of someone else. My boyfriend is a Filipino citizen who is applying for a Canadian visa. He is currently waiting on his letter to tell him to go get the medical check. He has just returned to the Philippines after working in the USA for a couple months (he has a multiple entry work visa for this purpose. This is the 3rd time doing that, and he has never overstayed). I live in Taiwan, and we are planning for him to visit me in Taiwan for a few days in June. He is concerned that visiting me in Taiwan will affect his visa process, which is a common concern for him these days. What kinds of things can affect his Canadian visa process? Is visiting me in Taiwan something that could potentially affect the visa process? Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,179 Posts
As long as he stays out of trouble, I can't see how a visit to Taiwan to see you can hurt his chances of getting into Canada.

Most governments just want to know that potential visa applicants haven't caused and aren't going to cause any trouble while they're visiting the country. I should think that the fact that he's been granted a multiple entry work visa to the United States would help his cause.

Canadian Immigration cannot stop a foreign national from visiting a third country (i.e. they can't stop your bf from going to Taiwan) and (under normal circumstances) they can't hold a visit to a specific third country against the visa applicant (notable exceptions would be the Israel/Palestine or USA/Cuba etc... i.e. politically motivated reasons to hold a visit to a specific country against a visa applicant).

However, if the visa applicant has shown that they've got a less than stellar travel history (overstays, visa refusals, criminal record etc), then it would be cause for concern for the government and could lead to problems for the visa applicant.

From what you're telling us here, barring any issues with his qualifying for the visa (i.e. proof of funds, ties to the Phils etc... technicalities with the visa application that don't relate to immigration history) it sounds like your b/f shouldn't have much (if any) problems in securing a visa to Canada.

Good luck to him and to you and I hope that he has a safe and pleasant journey.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! Thanks for the quick and thorough response! That is pretty much what I thought, but I wanted confirmation. I think he is just nervous about the whole process. Thank you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.