Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was looking for some info re. Schengen visa / visiting other EU countries.

Background: my husband is an Indian citizen living in England on a UK spouse visa. He has a USA visitor visa until 2025 and a Canada visitor visa until 2026 - I was wondering if there's anything like this available for the EU?

We are going to Rome next year (March) and my mother and her large extended family are from the Republic of Ireland so we wanted to visit next summer by boat. What would be the best visa option? Would we have to apply twice? Do you always have to go in person?

Any advice/info will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes, Schengen countries can issue a long-validity visa for up to 10 years, with each visit limited to 90 in 180 days. But it's at the discretion of the embassy/consulate concerned. As a spouse of a British citizen living in UK, there is a good chance, but what he will be offered is open to speculation. He may get a year's visa, for example. He can't just apply for 5-year visa.

For the Republic of Ireland, he will need an Irish visa. While there is a visa-free entry for those with UK visit visa, it's not extended to those who live here on long-stay visa. See Visas

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the info Joppa! When you say a long-validity visa of up to 10 years is that just for the Schengen country you apply to (e.g. Italy in this case) or would that visa permit (short stay) entry to all Schengen countries? Not quite sure how it works.

Quite annoying that we most likely can't get a multiple entry ROI visa immediately. Maybe they'll take my mother/extended family into consideration, who knows.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
There is only one kind of Schengen visa that grants entry to all countries in the Schengen zone. Exceptionally they can issue a visa with restricted validity, such as only named countries, but this usually only happens if there is a security risk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.