Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been living in the UK for the last six months on a Tier 2, intracompany transfer, 6 month visa and just moved back to the US. :( Now I want to go back and visit friends, but does anyone know if I might run into trouble at the border?

I've done everything right up until this point, just not sure if there's an amount of time I have to wait since it said I have to go back to my home country at the end. The UKBA site is extremely unhelpful, so anything anyone can point me to would be great...

Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
39,247 Posts
I've been living in the UK for the last six months on a Tier 2, intracompany transfer, 6 month visa and just moved back to the US. :( Now I want to go back and visit friends, but does anyone know if I might run into trouble at the border?

I've done everything right up until this point, just not sure if there's an amount of time I have to wait since it said I have to go back to my home country at the end. The UKBA site is extremely unhelpful, so anything anyone can point me to would be great...
Yes, you can return to UK for a visit, and there isn't any length of time laid down that you must stay away for.
Just make sure you have evidence required as a visitor, such as return ticket, proof of accommodation (if staying with friends, a letter of invitation; if hotel, booking confirmation etc), sufficient finance (bank statement), strong ties in US such as job or family responsibility and rough itinerary of how you are going to spend your time. Provided the border agency staff have no reason to suspect you may be returning to work illegally, you should be fine. Don't carry CV or any work-related paperwork - they can search your belongings for incriminating evidence. Just be prepared for the worst - you may not be asked for any documents, though as your passport makes it clear you've recently lived in UK, some questions are inevitable.

·
Registered
39,247 Posts
Thanks a lot, that's helpful! If I do want to go for business at some point though, for a conference or to visit my company in London, would the same rules apply?
Yes, basically, but then you will be entering as a business visitor and may need to show evidence of your business activities as well as return flight, funds etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.