Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All :)

I've been speaking with a company in the UK is interested in having me work for them, remote in the States is ok, but relocating to the UK is ideal for them. I've been researching visas for awhile since I was planning on moving after graduation, but I still can't find a clear answer to these questions:

If I am a freelance (contract) artist, do I need any visa to work in UK? Can I go without, even if it's for a brief period?

Also, if I do not have a bachelor's degree, but am a current student (wether or not I continue depends on work, in my field a diploma doesn't mean much) can I still get a tier 2 visa? If so, when using the calculator under 'qualifications' would I classify myself as being a 'member' of my school?

Can I get a student visa if I am studying in the US but want to work in a related field to my course of study in the uk? (I think student visas allow for 20 hours of work a week)

How is a work permit different from a visa and is it any easier for an employer to obtain?

I had mentioned to them I would do some independent research on my own, I don't think they do alot of hiring outside of the EU.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Hey All :)

I've been speaking with a company in the UK is interested in having me work for them, remote in the States is ok, but relocating to the UK is ideal for them. I've been researching visas for awhile since I was planning on moving after graduation, but I still can't find a clear answer to these questions:

If I am a freelance (contract) artist, do I need any visa to work in UK? Can I go without, even if it's for a brief period?

Yes, you need a visa. No, you cannot, unless it can be construed as a business trip.

Also, if I do not have a bachelor's degree, but am a current student (wether or not I continue depends on work, in my field a diploma doesn't mean much) can I still get a tier 2 visa? If so, when using the calculator under 'qualifications' would I classify myself as being a 'member' of my school?

Unlikely to qualify for Tier 2 (skilled worker) without a degree or many years' experience. Being a member probably means on the staff.

Can I get a student visa if I am studying in the US but want to work in a related field to my course of study in the uk? (I think student visas allow for 20 hours of work a week).

No. You need to be studying full-time (16 hours a week min) at an approved educational establishment in UK. But you can investigate study abroad program, perhaps through your uni.

How is a work permit different from a visa and is it any easier for an employer to obtain?

Work permit is something your prospective employer has to obtain first before you can apply for a relevant visa. Work permit is very difficult to obtain for US citizens because EU citizens all come before them, and employer has to show lack of suitable applicants or the occupation is on approved shortage list. Freelance artist isn't.

I had mentioned to them I would do some independent research on my own, I don't think they do a lot of hiring outside of the EU.

In that case they will soon lose interest in you, once they realise virtual impossibility of hiring a US citizen legally.

Thanks! :)

Don't mention it.
Job and relocation opportunities for US nationals are very limited in UK, just as they are for Britons in US. There used to be BUNAC program that enabled US students or recent graduates to work in UK for 6 months, but has been abolished and not reinstated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.