Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellow expats!

I'll introduce myself for a sec. I'm Dieter, a 24 year old Belgian guy. Currently I work for an offshore/dredging company, and traveling's a bit of a hobby of mine so I don't exactly spend alot of time at home. Because the nature of my job is keeping me from pursuing some other goals, I'm thinking of settling down somewhere for a year and changing jobs or perhaps going back to school.

I kind of have my mind set on Austin, TX right now. Either way, usually when I get into a fistfight with paperwork, paperwork wins. I have no idea where to begin basically :)

I have a construction engineering (master) degree from a Belgian college, and by september I will have had 2 years of experience in hydrographic surveying. I guess the best course for me would be to start looking for jobs in the engineering field and get a local company to arrange a work visa. Alternatively I could go back to school for a year, to try and change careerpaths. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Either way, I'm hoping experts such as yourselves can help me out here figuring out what I need and where to get it. Advice on work, housing, banking, visas, everything is very welcome.

Thanks for listening! :)

Dieter

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
You can try to get a job with your current qualifications or transfer within your organization or apply at a university in Austin. However, I doubt it that a US employer will considering sponsoring an employee for a year. Have you gone through the stickies at the beginning of this forum?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twostep, thanks for your reply. It does make a lot of sense that companies won't go through months of processing paperwork to get me in for a year, that's true. I read all the stickies, but I'm having a hard time applying all the info to my personal situation. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are now.

The basic goal now is to just be able to live in another country for a year. I don't have the financial resources to do this without working, so I guess a work visa is in order. Just studying for a year is also too expensive for me. A female friend of mine lived in the US for 2 years as an au pair, but given how "good" I am with kids, I figure that's not an option for me as well ;) And I did enter in the DV lottery, but I figure I don't want to just rely on hope.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts