Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone!:)

i am Asian and my partner is from NZ. We are not living together in the meantime but would like to move and live there next year. However, Immigration NZ states we can only apply for visa under partnership-based, if we are living together for a year or more. So, I am not sure what visa to apply, like tourist visa first or work visa,etc?? need your advise. thanks! :) comments are greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Why don't you live together now and delay moving to NZ till you have been under the same roof for 12 months. Make sure you have joint bills, bank account and collect other evidence of a loving stable relationship. Will make the process the most straight forward it can be for next year!

If you don't have sufficient partnership evidence, immigration could offer you a longer term visitor visa that would allow you to come to NZ with your kiwi partner, but you'll be unable to work. Your partner would have to support your application and basically pledge to cover all of your costs. You can't even work for free or help out in return for board/lodgings as even that is regarded as work.

The other option is to forget the partnership route for the moment and just get your own visa that will allow you to live study and work here temporarily - eg an essential skills visa (you'll need a skilled job offer) or silver fern visa (only available from Nov 2015 and only 300 of them, meaning they are very difficult to get) or a working holiday visa (if you are young enough to qualify) and then after you have been living here with your partner for 12 months then look at a more permanent partnership based visa application which hopefully will give you residency.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again!

Is it possible to apply for work visa or residence visa (partnership based), after let's say i get approved for tourist visa under partnership (when we get to live together in NZ but still less than a year)

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Hello again!

Is it possible to apply for work visa or residence visa (partnership based), after let's say i get approved for tourist visa under partnership (when we get to live together in NZ but still less than a year)
Family Stream

Have a look at this link. If you can only provide evidence that you have been together less than 12 months you may still be able to get a partnership based work visa, but it will only be for a year maximum and if you are still together towards the end of that year you can extend for another 12 months and it also gives you the opportunity to apply for a partnership resident visa if you are both very happy and wish to remain in NZ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts