Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

visa validation trip to sydney

23K views 89 replies 31 participants last post by  sangeetharpnp 
#1 ·
Finally Will land in Sydney on 24th Sept with wife and two kids for visa validation. Have booked an apartment in Artarmon, Sydney via Air BnB. Planning to buy an Aussie Sim Card and 04 Opal Card at airport. Will take a train to Artarmon as we will not have much luggage. This is a short trip of 06 nights. During this trip I will open a bank account and see major tourist attractions mainly luna park, harbour bridge, botanical garden, aquarium, zoo, Sydney eye tower etc. We will be cooking at home to ascertain the approx average cost of living for a week on food and day to day stuffs. Will post pics and details later. I will be in Sydney for my final move in August 2015.
Documents I am carrying are : passports, grant letter and yellow fever vaccine certificates (its not needed but because I have them so I will carry along)
till i write next...cheers :D and hope my this trip is a pleasant one and kids enjoy it too.:fingerscrossed::hand:

#38 ·
no I didn't. Actually this didnt come to my mind. I was so occupied with other things. But its not expensive you can take it easily.

Reactions: ANZ
#41 ·
Hi Bimal,

I booked my accommodation through airbnb. I did not pay any security deposit. But it was mentioned in the details. Does it mean that I would have to pay it to the land lady directly?
I remember you told that you are yet to get the security deposit back. Whom did you pay this to?

Further, how did you get the OPAL card?
Which one is better for one week stay? MyMulti or OPAL? MyMulti-3 costs $63/adult and is valid for entire greater Sydney network. How much was your total OPAL expense towards conveyance?
Further, I also read that OPAL is still not fully implemented in the entire transportation network.
Please suggest.

#40 ·
Hi Bimal,

I booked my accommodation through airbnb. I did not pay any security deposit. But it was mentioned in the details. Does it mean that I would have to pay it to the land lady directly?
I remember you told that you are yet to get the security deposit back. Whom did you pay this to?

Further, how did you get the OPAL card?
Which one is better for one week stay? MyMulti or OPAL? MyMulti-3 costs $63/adult and is valid for entire greater Sydney network. How much was your total OPAL expense towards conveyance?
Further, I also read that OPAL is still not fully implemented in the entire transportation network.
Please suggest.

#50 ·
Query

Hi Guys,

Nice write up Bhimal. Thanks for the info.

I have the following query

I got my VISA grant by June 2014, i have to make my first entry before June 2015 and i am planning a validation trip for a week to sydney by May 2015.
I am not planning to move to OZ anytime soon for another 3 years at least, my PR is till June 2019, so say, i move into OZ by Jan 2019, what do i do after my PR expires?

I cannot stay beyond June 2019? If so, what are my options? How do i extend it?

Regards,
Avinash

#52 ·
Hi Guys,

Nice write up Bhimal. Thanks for the info.

I have the following query

I got my VISA grant by June 2014, i have to make my first entry before June 2015 and i am planning a validation trip for a week to sydney by May 2015.
I am not planning to move to OZ anytime soon for another 3 years at least, my PR is till June 2019, so say, i move into OZ by Jan 2019, what do i do after my PR expires?

I cannot stay beyond June 2019? If so, what are my options? How do i extend it?

Regards,
Avinash
Adding to what BimalKumar has mentioned, once you enter Australia, you can stay there indefinitely. PR never expires, it is only the travel authority which gets expired after 5 years. That means you cannot enter or exit Australia post the 5 year period.

To be eligible for RRV, you need to have strong ties with Australia such as proper job. To get a 5 year RRV, one needs to be physically present in Australia for a total of at least two years in the last five years. Otherwise you get 1 year or 3 months RRV.

To be eligible for applying Citizenship, you needs to be in living in Aus for atleast 4 years without a break greater than 1 year.

So keep these points in mind for planning the permanent move.

#51 ·
Hi Avi
Congrats for the grant and wish u all the best for your validation trip.
Every one gets PR for only 5 years post that you have three options listed below in order of merit:-
1. Apply for citizenship and become an Aussie
2. Apply for Resident Returning Visa just in time before your PR expires.
3. Do nothing keep living in Australia and never come out of Australia but when you have to fly out of Australia apply for RRV.

hope it will help.

#57 ·
PR Validation tourism pacakge

Dear Friends,

Thanks for the valuable information shared. I would like to know which would be better while going for PR validation. Either going through a tourism packages like Thomas Cook, Cox&Kings etc, or plan your own trip. If the difference is not much, then going for a tourism package will make the trip more memorable. Please let me know from your experiences.

thanks in advance

#59 ·
Dear Friends,

Thanks for the valuable information shared. I would like to know which would be better while going for PR validation. Either going through a tourism packages like Thomas Cook, Cox&Kings etc, or plan your own trip. If the difference is not much, then going for a tourism package will make the trip more memorable. Please let me know from your experiences.

thanks in advance
All the names you mentioned are super expensive tour operators. I don't know which country you are from, but if it's India, then there are heaps of much cheaper tour operators which you can go through if at all your plan is to tour Australia. If you plan is just to validate visa and see the country and life for a few days, then you don't need to go through a tour operator.

#60 ·
validation trip

Hi Bimal,

Good to read ur posts....i plan to do validation trip in august....i plan to do only sydney for 3-4 days ....i will be flying from new delhi................

have u heard about wotif.com............i heard hru a frnd and seems like very good deals ................... i was just cheking hotels there but not able to figure out location that i should be looking for hotels ....... most of hotels are concentrated arnd CBD , circulars quay and all................. do u recommend this locaion if i am getting a good deal..............

#61 ·
Hi All,

I am also looking to do a validation trip in June (IED is July end). The biggest question I am facing right now is:

1. As I have got a PR now, whether I should be going for couple of days and return? OR
2. whether I should go for 2-3 months and try for a job there?

My inclination is for the second option as the whole purpose of getting a PR is to really settle down in life. Though it involves a risk of not able to find a job (in say 3 months) and return.

Thanks

#71 ·
Check the VEVO site or better yet, get the VEVO app. Once you've entered the details, check the Location field. If you are in Australia, it should say Onshore else Offshore. I'm not sure but another field may be the Visa status field. Mine says In Effect at the moment. Maybe before I visited, it said something else but as mentioned earlier, I'm not sure. You can compare these 2 fields against what you are seeing for yourself currently.

Reactions: imranrk
#70 ·
Purpose of visit should be TOURISM on the form.
One doesn't need to know weather it has been verified or not but should you need to know then go to vevo website

#72 ·
Awesome thread....Bimal its been a pleasure and not to mention a great value add going through your posts. We are a family of 4 too and we plan to visit early next year- A validation/vacation with some serious "knocking on the door" activities planned. Talking to a few on airbnb at the moment. Hope things are well with you and you have started your dream life in Australia.

#73 ·
Yips Som
Got full time job have moved in a 2bhk rental unit house, bought car n m living a comfortable life. So all is well on my end. Wish u a great life here.

Reactions: 1moreEECandidate
#75 ·
Hello Bimal
Many thanks for such detailed inputs.

We recently got our PR and planning for a validation trip coming march for 10-12 days.
Some sight seeing, getting some idea about job market, inquiring about school and colleges.

May return for more of your advise and experiences.
Thanks .

#74 ·
Awesome! I am sure you deserve every bit of it! Wishing you all the success...soak in that sun! Hope to catch you there when we eventually land there! BTW I am trying to follow your validation itinerary .. from where to pick opal cards to vf sim to attractions ( have 2 kids almost of the same age).. And got my flite and airbnb booked as well!��

#79 ·
Hi bimal

I see that u r from North india. What do u suggest - would we be able to get good north indian weals there? Or shud we be prepared to cook at home like u guys did?
I understand that a lot depends on location. But in general, how is it in sydney in terms of availability of good north indian food while eating out?

It didn't even cross my mind that we might have to cook there and about all the masala and daal packing. But ur posts have made me thinking. And a bit worried also, to be honest.

#84 ·
Guys, I have posted my query in my own thread but thought of asking here as well -

I am ok with staying far off from Indian stores/restaurants, but need to find a place close to the office (Macquarie Park) at least for a month or so, so that I get familiar "navigating" Sydney! Can you suggest some places close to Macquarie Park where public transport is available easily as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.