Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am going to do my initial entry in February 2015 i have the 189 PR and i wanted to ask can i validate the visa for example in Perth rather then going to Sydney even though i mentioned before in the application that i would like to live in Sydney ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Bimal for the replies :)

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am going to do my initial entry in February 2015 i have the 189 PR and i wanted to ask can i validate the visa for example in Perth rather then going to Sydney even though i mentioned before in the application that i would like to live in Sydney ?

Thanks.
Sure, you can go to Perth and validate your PR. I got ss from WA and visited NSW and Victoria for IED tour. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Bimal for your replies :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hi all :D:D
I am back to my desktop and thought I must share this report with you all. Just realised that posting pics on this forum is cumbersome so I am starting without much pics but whenever opportunity/request arises I will post them. (in my post $ = AUD & not USD)
Day 1
Me my wife and two sons reached Delhi airport well ahead of time. With luggage in plane and excitement in our hearts we left grounds only to regain it in Kuala lumpur which is a huge and beautiful airport. We waited for 4 hours to take our next flight to Sydney. these four hours reminded us that as a budget traveller we should have packed some warm sheets in our hand baggage to ward off strong drafts of chilled air oozing from powerful ACs installed at airport mixed with cold night air outside. :pray: any ways we all sat on the floor in a corner huddled together to create the warmth for our two little sleepy heads. kids sleeping in our laps wife attended to temple run on her tablet and I too cleared some islands in Boom Beach on my ipad :peace: rest of the night passed on without any major event or issues. In the morning we joined the line to hop on to flight which took us to Sydney. The flight experience was one of the best in recent few years. In flight entertainment system was cool there were hindi movies comedy serials and games for kids and of course there were many latest hollywood flicks too which kept sanity restored between my ears. food was fresh n tasty. At Sydney airport after getting our passports stamped (mission accomplished :tea:) I bought vodafone simcard with a 45$ plan which gave me 1.5 gb of net usage to power up our net phoney and net based online games in our tablets. speed of 3g was one of the best in fact it so good that my son watched video after video on youtube and finished the 1.5 GB in 1.5 days :eek: but no worries I bought some more data from a local grocery store by paying additional 5$ and put a password on phone to save further damage :bounce:
we came out of of airport and took a taxi to artarmon in Sydney. we were handed over the key to apartment by neighbours as our landlady had proceeded on vacation. House was beautiful and full of toys. we all had two minute maggy noodles (which takes around 7 minutes to cook in real life :D) and a hot cup of tea (milk was left in fridge by landlady and tea leaves and sugar was part of our luggage :smile:) kids had noodles and glass of milk and we all slept like babies to wake up at 11 in next day.

2nd day
I decided to go for jogging and shopping. I jogged to local market in chatswood shopping area and bought all the necessary vegetables and groceries to keep us well fed for next one week. for cost querries check out the bills View attachment 29497 View attachment 29505
I made tea and brunch for family and rest of the day we spent by walking the locality and near by parks which were clean and full of flowers. we lazed around on lush green grass carpets in parks. gazed in the clear blue sky of beautiful Australia. in the evening we went to nearby 7-eleven shop to buy our opal cards and we loaded it with 40$ each on adult cards and 20$ each on child cards.

3rd Day
we woke up early and too train to town hall in Sydney city and walked to darling harbour (7 minutes by walk) watched a movie in world's biggest imax theatre at darling harbour the total expense on movie tickets were 90$. I went to harbour view shopping arcade and booked three major attractions for next day. (aquarium, wild life and Sydney eye tower. All these places are near by and can be walked to easily) the price for whole family for these attractions were 165 $. It was Saturday evening and we settled on the steps of Darling Harbour to watch the spectacular 10 minutes fireworks. then we returned home.

4th day
Next day we took a train to Milson's point and walked to luna park took some limited rides total expense was 8$ per person per ride. then we took a ferry to circular quay then another ferry to rose bay then another to watsons bay then back to circular quay. where we watched a brilliant street play and walked passed the opera house. As we were tired and it got dark and weather was getting colder we walked across the sydney harbour bridge and reached to milson's point station and took train to home.

5th day
we went to NAB bank and open our account. (we had opened our account online before reaching to OZ) By now we had fare estimate how much money will be left unutilized (only 350 $ from total budgeted 3750 USD for this trip) so i deposited the leftover money in account.

6th day
we cleaned the house cooked some Indian meals for ourselves and our land lady and her family. we all enjoyed our meal together then I left for my evening flight back to Indiland :yawn::pray: with prayers on our lips to the almighty so that he can bring us back to this land of plenty real soon.

our total expense on this trip under major heads:-
ticket:- 2150 USD
Housing in Sydney:- 880 USD
Travel, food & entertainment:- 700 USD approx

Major Mistakes:-
1. exchanging money at airport poor exchange rate. Exchange little amount if you must.
Look for any UAE exchange counters there is one in harbour view shopping arcade and many all over the Sydney.
2. Didn't carry adapter suitable for Australian sockets which is very funny :D. ihad to buy it at 3.6 $ in India I would have bought at least four in this amount.
3. Didn't carry enough spices.. all the food tasted same as we carried only turmeric n garam masala. then my wife roasted some cumin and powdered it to make some cumin powder. Have heart and carry some coriander powder, chilly powder, kasoori methi etc etc. also carry some asafoetida (hing) to make sumptuous khichdi's if u r in hurry.
4. Didn't plan my move early... I should have moved to Australia at least 10 years ago so that I could have enjoyed best life longer any ways your morning starts when you wake up. so dont waste your time and move to better life ASAP.
I am moving properly on 15 Aug 2015. I am resigning from my current job in July 2015 (contract labour) also need to earn some money to get a quick start in Australia.

Job Scene:
everyone has to struggle in beginning despite your expertise and experience. But if you don't mind working in restaurants, stores, shops then there are plenty of Jobs.

Housing short term & long term:
try 2 Stay Accommodation Agency
Air BnB
roomz.com (you need an Australian number to go further)
easyroommate.com
Gumtree.com.au (here too local Australian phone no. is needed)

To forget some details is human to ask again is divine so ask your queries before i forget :eyebrows:

·
Registered
447 Posts
hi Bimal,

you pretty much covered a lot of things, but you didn't mention how much you liked people over there. Is your landlord lady an Australian? what do they think about Asian people??

if the movie tickect costs are $ 90 (so assuming $ 30/each) thats seems expensive? so, is everything that much expensive??

by the way, once i asked you to find out if the job market is good for professional people i.e Accountants. i am assuming you were busy with your family enjoying the city tour, still if you know anything please share?

regarding food, did you guyz cook it always at home? is there any cheap takeaway or street food which can be enjoyed while travelling the city. did you like Australian Fruits? how much tasty are they? what about the Milk at your fridge...?

what questions you were asked at immigration checking point? Regarding NAB bank account, after how many days, you got your Bank Debit Card ?? Is there any point test to open a bank Account ??

you must have been excited to move in permanently. till then best of luck :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
hi bimal,

you pretty much covered a lot of things, but you didn't mention how much you liked people over there. Is your landlord lady an australian? What do they think about asian people??

i think people here are of like "live and let live" kinds. Yes my landlady is an australian. Well its very difficult to say what they think about asians but it will be my pure guess that they won't waste their time thinking about others cause there is so much to think about in their lives. I think if not high then not low either kind of rating.

if the movie tickect costs are $ 90 (so assuming $ 30/each) thats seems expensive? So, is everything that much expensive??

well lets get it straight it is expensive place. Quality can not be maintained if it becomes cheaper like other cheap places. But you earn enough to meet these expenses. For e.g. Even if you work in a store as casual you will get paid 23$ per hour. As per universal rule of "every body loves the person who works hard n smart" you can easily secure 8 hours a day. By that logic too after tax u will be left with 2600$ and trust me life is amazing thing it expands and constricts too to accommodate your current earnings.

by the way, once i asked you to find out if the job market is good for professional people i.e accountants. I am assuming you were busy with your family enjoying the city tour, still if you know anything please share?
truth about financial jobs i asked my friend she said with little struggle jobs can be found with moderate incomes in finance sector. Now its a very generic statement for me. The same can be said about every other sector so as matter fact i don't know what to say on it.

regarding food, did you guyz cook it always at home? Is there any cheap takeaway or street food which can be enjoyed while travelling the city. Did you like australian fruits? How much tasty are they? What about the milk at your fridge...?
yes we cooked always at home. Food is expensive outside. But in small restaurants a deal can be made at 7 to 9$ per meal where you can get a decent meal. Quality of fruits is amazing. Me being chef you have to trust me fruits n vegetables are probably the best in the universe. I will upload some pics in next post for you to see.

what questions you were asked at immigration checking point? Regarding nab bank account, after how many days, you got your bank debit card ?? Is there any point test to open a bank account ??

no questions asked. I had applied for bank accounts 15 days before my travel dates. No i did not take debit card as it takes seven working days hence we decided to take it once we move in for long.

you must have been excited to move in permanently. Till then best of luck :d
[[/attach]

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey the pics are amazing. Do keep on posting such pictures, it gives a nice feeling.😀

Sent from my iPad using ExpatForum

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
watching street play at circular quay, Sydney before starting the walk across the harbour bridge
DSC08094.jpg

on the bridge, I can still feel the rushing traffic by our side and cool breeze coming from Opera House side... wow
DSC08121.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks a lot Bimal for taking effort to write up everything..Best part is, it has lots of warmth - which propels us to prepone our tickets but with all the notice periods and other things..have to wait till Jan.

Thanks for the Pics..

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hi all :D:D
I am back to my desktop and thought I must share this report with you all. Just realised that posting pics on this forum is cumbersome so I am starting without much pics but whenever opportunity/request arises I will post them. (in my post $ = AUD & not USD)
Day 1
Me my wife and two sons reached Delhi airport well ahead of time. With luggage in plane and excitement in our hearts we left grounds only to regain it in Kuala lumpur which is a huge and beautiful airport. We waited for 4 hours to take our next flight to Sydney. these four hours reminded us that as a budget traveller we should have packed some warm sheets in our hand baggage to ward off strong drafts of chilled air oozing from powerful ACs installed at airport mixed with cold night air outside. :pray: any ways we all sat on the floor in a corner huddled together to create the warmth for our two little sleepy heads. kids sleeping in our laps wife attended to temple run on her tablet and I too cleared some islands in Boom Beach on my ipad :peace: rest of the night passed on without any major event or issues. In the morning we joined the line to hop on to flight which took us to Sydney. The flight experience was one of the best in recent few years. In flight entertainment system was cool there were hindi movies comedy serials and games for kids and of course there were many latest hollywood flicks too which kept sanity restored between my ears. food was fresh n tasty. At Sydney airport after getting our passports stamped (mission accomplished :tea:) I bought vodafone simcard with a 45$ plan which gave me 1.5 gb of net usage to power up our net phoney and net based online games in our tablets. speed of 3g was one of the best in fact it so good that my son watched video after video on youtube and finished the 1.5 GB in 1.5 days :eek: but no worries I bought some more data from a local grocery store by paying additional 5$ and put a password on phone to save further damage :bounce:
we came out of of airport and took a taxi to artarmon in Sydney. we were handed over the key to apartment by neighbours as our landlady had proceeded on vacation. House was beautiful and full of toys. we all had two minute maggy noodles (which takes around 7 minutes to cook in real life :D) and a hot cup of tea (milk was left in fridge by landlady and tea leaves and sugar was part of our luggage :smile:) kids had noodles and glass of milk and we all slept like babies to wake up at 11 in next day.

2nd day
I decided to go for jogging and shopping. I jogged to local market in chatswood shopping area and bought all the necessary vegetables and groceries to keep us well fed for next one week. for cost querries check out the bills View attachment 29497 View attachment 29505
I made tea and brunch for family and rest of the day we spent by walking the locality and near by parks which were clean and full of flowers. we lazed around on lush green grass carpets in parks. gazed in the clear blue sky of beautiful Australia. in the evening we went to nearby 7-eleven shop to buy our opal cards and we loaded it with 40$ each on adult cards and 20$ each on child cards.

3rd Day
we woke up early and too train to town hall in Sydney city and walked to darling harbour (7 minutes by walk) watched a movie in world's biggest imax theatre at darling harbour the total expense on movie tickets were 90$. I went to harbour view shopping arcade and booked three major attractions for next day. (aquarium, wild life and Sydney eye tower. All these places are near by and can be walked to easily) the price for whole family for these attractions were 165 $. It was Saturday evening and we settled on the steps of Darling Harbour to watch the spectacular 10 minutes fireworks. then we returned home.

4th day
Next day we took a train to Milson's point and walked to luna park took some limited rides total expense was 8$ per person per ride. then we took a ferry to circular quay then another ferry to rose bay then another to watsons bay then back to circular quay. where we watched a brilliant street play and walked passed the opera house. As we were tired and it got dark and weather was getting colder we walked across the sydney harbour bridge and reached to milson's point station and took train to home.

5th day
we went to NAB bank and open our account. (we had opened our account online before reaching to OZ) By now we had fare estimate how much money will be left unutilized (only 350 $ from total budgeted 3750 USD for this trip) so i deposited the leftover money in account.

6th day
we cleaned the house cooked some Indian meals for ourselves and our land lady and her family. we all enjoyed our meal together then I left for my evening flight back to Indiland :yawn::pray: with prayers on our lips to the almighty so that he can bring us back to this land of plenty real soon.

our total expense on this trip under major heads:-
ticket:- 2150 USD
Housing in Sydney:- 880 USD
Travel, food & entertainment:- 700 USD approx

Major Mistakes:-
1. exchanging money at airport poor exchange rate. Exchange little amount if you must.
Look for any UAE exchange counters there is one in harbour view shopping arcade and many all over the Sydney.
2. Didn't carry adapter suitable for Australian sockets which is very funny :D. ihad to buy it at 3.6 $ in India I would have bought at least four in this amount.
3. Didn't carry enough spices.. all the food tasted same as we carried only turmeric n garam masala. then my wife roasted some cumin and powdered it to make some cumin powder. Have heart and carry some coriander powder, chilly powder, kasoori methi etc etc. also carry some asafoetida (hing) to make sumptuous khichdi's if u r in hurry.
4. Didn't plan my move early... I should have moved to Australia at least 10 years ago so that I could have enjoyed best life longer any ways your morning starts when you wake up. so dont waste your time and move to better life ASAP.
I am moving properly on 15 Aug 2015. I am resigning from my current job in July 2015 (contract labour) also need to earn some money to get a quick start in Australia.

Job Scene:
everyone has to struggle in beginning despite your expertise and experience. But if you don't mind working in restaurants, stores, shops then there are plenty of Jobs.

Housing short term & long term:
try 2 Stay Accommodation Agency
Air BnB
roomz.com (you need an Australian number to go further)
easyroommate.com
Gumtree.com.au (here too local Australian phone no. is needed)

To forget some details is human to ask again is divine so ask your queries before i forget :eyebrows:
Bimal, thanks for the amazing post. I can't open the excel files you attached. Those links show error. May be you can take a complete screenshots of the same and post them here as jpeg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
well I wish this website makes photo sharing little simpler then what it is now. I am trying to post those pics again which links were faulty. those were just some bills so that you can see the cost of some food items in Sydney. i thought it might help and will give an idea of your expenses.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
well I wish this website makes photo sharing little simpler then what it is now. I am trying to post those pics again which links were faulty. those were just some bills so that you can see the cost of some food items in Sydney. i thought it might help and will give an idea of your expenses.[/ATTACH]
this is great info.. keep posting these..

thanks a lot for this...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some Queries

Hi Bimal,

I hold the GSM-175 PR and planning to visit Sydney in Nov 2nd week.
I will be traveling with my family - my wife & my one year old son.
I read all of your posts and got a lot of useful info.
Thank you very much for that!

I have a few more queries on this topic. Requesting your reply.

- Is visa stamp in PP not required? How would the immigration in India find out the visa validity?
- How about the medical/health coverage during the trip?
- Do we have to register for medicare?
- I am booking Sri Lankan Airlines but it has a leg from KUL to Sydney with Malaysian Airlines. I am a little scared about MH after the recent incidents. How is your experience?
- What was the total journey time form Delhi to Sydney?
- How much did you pay the per adult air fare?
- Accommodation you paid looks quite high. Why so much?
- I am also booking through airbnb. Let me know the place where you stayed. I will also try the same as I know your experience.
- What about yellow fever card? You mentioned it somewhere.
- Bank Account
- Is it required during the validation trip? What are the benefits?

Regards
Wasim

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Bimal,

I hold the GSM-175 PR and planning to visit Sydney in Nov 2nd week.
I will be traveling with my family - my wife & my one year old son.
I read all of your posts and got a lot of useful info.
Thank you very much for that!

I have a few more queries on this topic. Requesting your reply.

- Is visa stamp in PP not required? How would the immigration in India find out the visa validity?
- How about the medical/health coverage during the trip?
- Do we have to register for medicare?
- I am booking Sri Lankan Airlines but it has a leg from KUL to Sydney with Malaysian Airlines. I am a little scared about MH after the recent incidents. How is your experience?
- What was the total journey time form Delhi to Sydney?
- How much did you pay the per adult air fare?
- Accommodation you paid looks quite high. Why so much?
- I am also booking through airbnb. Let me know the place where you stayed. I will also try the same as I know your experience.
- What about yellow fever card? You mentioned it somewhere.
- Bank Account
- Is it required during the validation trip? What are the benefits?

Regards
Wasim
Dear Wasim
Thanks for reading my posts and hope it will help you.
On your queries:-
* Visa stamp is not required on Passport but you have to carry the printout of your grant letter. All the major airports across the world have been given online access to Australian Visa verification facility. At airport authorities can check your visa online if they need or want to do so.

* Medical health coverage can be bought from any native travel insurer like reliance or AIG etc etc. In Australia you will not get any assistance if you are going for short visa validation visit.

* If you are going for a short trip then you cannot register for medicare it requires you to furnish your local address, postcodes etc etc. It might complicate things as you also need to apply for Tax File no. etc etc. so consider yourself a tourist if you are going for short trip.

*well my experience with Malaysian Air was fantastic and i will take it again as whatever happened could have happened with any airline. And when one has to go then one has to go so dont worry about it go with your gut feel and your heart's call. SL airline too is good.

* Delhi to KL is 05 hrs and KL to syd is 08 hrs.
* Price of air ticket per adult was approx 54000 INR.

* I took a two bedroom apartment and yes it was high but two factors
- When you book on air BNB there are some hidden charges which swells up the price.
- I had not taken my family on any holiday for many years so I wanted a spacious house instead of cramped hotel room and for a family of four i had to take two rooms plus we wanted to do our own cooking to feel comfortable on tummy and on wallet to so all in all the high price of acco got compensated.

* I stayed in Artarmon and this place was 5 minutes of walk from Artarmon station on Hampden road. But the same place you might not get as the landlady makes it available only during school holidays when she travels to Melbourne to her parents place but you will get plenty of options in Sydney. choose something walking distance from railway station. if you want to do your own cooking then see that kitchen is well equipped and has a super market near by to buy ingredients. Just be aware that airbnb will charge around 50 to 60$ as service fee then there will be some security deposit which is so far not returned and may it is not meant to be returned.

* yellow fever injection is good to have it gives immunization for 10 years. But its not must. Because I work in Africa so its must for me so i just carried the vaccination card but no one asked for it.

* Bank account is good to open as you can deposit your left over funds (aus dollars) rather then reconverting them to INR. in future you can just transfer some funds and travel with minimal cash and there is no hassle in opening it it takes 15 minutes. But you might not take debit card if you are not staying at the address for more then 07 bank working days as it takes around 7 to 10 days for debit cards to get delivered. so I just opened the account deposited some money and didn't take the card, the same i will take in aug 2015 when I will shift there for long.

hope it helps you and have wonderful time. November will be hot so travel with light clothings, take a house with AC. if carrying any food items make sure that every item is packed well by manufacturer and carries expiry dates. While filling the arrival card which you will be given in plane after leaving the KL make sure you tick (X) in the column which talks about food items and also tick yes for animal products as u will have leather belts and wallet, ladies purse etc. it causes you no trouble if you tick yes. :hail: wasim let me know if anything else:dizzy:

Reactions: ANZ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
DSC07938.jpg
my sons at Sydney wildlife zoo at Darling harbour, with a friendly wallaby and very cute zoo keeper or read it as friendly zoo keeper and very cute wallaby. :D:D:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Wasim
Thanks for reading my posts and hope it will help you.
On your queries:-
* Visa stamp is not required on Passport but you have to carry the printout of your grant letter. All the major airports across the world have been given online access to Australian Visa verification facility. At airport authorities can check your visa online if they need or want to do so.

* Medical health coverage can be bought from any native travel insurer like reliance or AIG etc etc. In Australia you will not get any assistance if you are going for short visa validation visit.

* If you are going for a short trip then you cannot register for medicare it requires you to furnish your local address, postcodes etc etc. It might complicate things as you also need to apply for Tax File no. etc etc. so consider yourself a tourist if you are going for short trip.

*well my experience with Malaysian Air was fantastic and i will take it again as whatever happened could have happened with any airline. And when one has to go then one has to go so dont worry about it go with your gut feel and your heart's call. SL airline too is good.

* Delhi to KL is 05 hrs and KL to syd is 08 hrs.
* Price of air ticket per adult was approx 54000 INR.

* I took a two bedroom apartment and yes it was high but two factors
- When you book on air BNB there are some hidden charges which swells up the price.
- I had not taken my family on any holiday for many years so I wanted a spacious house instead of cramped hotel room and for a family of four i had to take two rooms plus we wanted to do our own cooking to feel comfortable on tummy and on wallet to so all in all the high price of acco got compensated.

* I stayed in Artarmon and this place was 5 minutes of walk from Artarmon station on Hampden road. But the same place you might not get as the landlady makes it available only during school holidays when she travels to Melbourne to her parents place but you will get plenty of options in Sydney. choose something walking distance from railway station. if you want to do your own cooking then see that kitchen is well equipped and has a super market near by to buy ingredients. Just be aware that airbnb will charge around 50 to 60$ as service fee then there will be some security deposit which is so far not returned and may it is not meant to be returned.

* yellow fever injection is good to have it gives immunization for 10 years. But its not must. Because I work in Africa so its must for me so i just carried the vaccination card but no one asked for it.

* Bank account is good to open as you can deposit your left over funds (aus dollars) rather then reconverting them to INR. in future you can just transfer some funds and travel with minimal cash and there is no hassle in opening it it takes 15 minutes. But you might not take debit card if you are not staying at the address for more then 07 bank working days as it takes around 7 to 10 days for debit cards to get delivered. so I just opened the account deposited some money and didn't take the card, the same i will take in aug 2015 when I will shift there for long.

hope it helps you and have wonderful time. November will be hot so travel with light clothings, take a house with AC. if carrying any food items make sure that every item is packed well by manufacturer and carries expiry dates. While filling the arrival card which you will be given in plane after leaving the KL make sure you tick (X) in the column which talks about food items and also tick yes for animal products as u will have leather belts and wallet, ladies purse etc. it causes you no trouble if you tick yes. :hail: wasim let me know if anything else:dizzy:
Thanks Bimal for a quick & detailed reply.
Did you also take the health insurance for your travel?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
no I didn't. Actually this didnt come to my mind. I was so occupied with other things. But its not expensive you can take it easily.

Reactions: ANZ

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Bimal,

I booked my accommodation through airbnb. I did not pay any security deposit. But it was mentioned in the details. Does it mean that I would have to pay it to the land lady directly?
I remember you told that you are yet to get the security deposit back. Whom did you pay this to?

Further, how did you get the OPAL card?
Which one is better for one week stay? MyMulti or OPAL? MyMulti-3 costs $63/adult and is valid for entire greater Sydney network. How much was your total OPAL expense towards conveyance?
Further, I also read that OPAL is still not fully implemented in the entire transportation network.
Please suggest.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts