Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally Will land in Sydney on 24th Sept with wife and two kids for visa validation. Have booked an apartment in Artarmon, Sydney via Air BnB. Planning to buy an Aussie Sim Card and 04 Opal Card at airport. Will take a train to Artarmon as we will not have much luggage. This is a short trip of 06 nights. During this trip I will open a bank account and see major tourist attractions mainly luna park, harbour bridge, botanical garden, aquarium, zoo, Sydney eye tower etc. We will be cooking at home to ascertain the approx average cost of living for a week on food and day to day stuffs. Will post pics and details later. I will be in Sydney for my final move in August 2015.
Documents I am carrying are : passports, grant letter and yellow fever vaccine certificates (its not needed but because I have them so I will carry along)
till i write next...cheers :D and hope my this trip is a pleasant one and kids enjoy it too.:fingerscrossed::hand:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Finally Will land in Sydney on 24th Sept with wife and two kids for visa validation. Have booked an apartment in Artarmon, Sydney via Air BnB. Planning to buy an Aussie Sim Card and 04 Opal Card at airport. Will take a train to Artarmon as we will not have much luggage. This is a short trip of 06 nights. During this trip I will open a bank account and see major tourist attractions mainly luna park, harbour bridge, botanical garden, aquarium, zoo, Sydney eye tower etc. We will be cooking at home to ascertain the approx average cost of living for a week on food and day to day stuffs. Will post pics and details later. I will be in Sydney for my final move in August 2015.
Documents I am carrying are : passports, grant letter and yellow fever vaccine certificates (its not needed but because I have them so I will carry along)
till i write next...cheers :D and hope my this trip is a pleasant one and kids enjoy it too.:fingerscrossed::hand:
Wish you a happy journey.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Bon voyage! Do report your experiences..

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am also going for the same purpose (7 nights) but in oct.

I wish u good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure people, rest assured :cool:will post every detail so that future migrants can b benefitted. Expect some pics too. ;)
Packing has just started have checked the weather its still little cooler in Sydney but my Landdlady has promissed lots of sheets n blankets hence we are carrying our warm clothing only as extra protection for kids. Also planning to book Sydney's five major attraction tour online..
Wife will have navratra fastings during our stay in sydney so no meat in this trip it will be all home cooked food n lots of fruits n veggies.
If anyone wants me to find out anything in perticular then let me know. In this trip I m only opening my bank account with NAB. I have already filled the account opening form online. I wm opening a joint account with wife.

Reactions: tirupoti and taz_mt

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sure people, rest assured :cool:will post every detail so that future migrants can b benefitted. Expect some pics too. ;)
Packing has just started have checked the weather its still little cooler in Sydney but my Landdlady has promissed lots of sheets n blankets hence we are carrying our warm clothing only as extra protection for kids. Also planning to book Sydney's five major attraction tour online..
Wife will have navratra fastings during our stay in sydney so no meat in this trip it will be all home cooked food n lots of fruits n veggies.
If anyone wants me to find out anything in perticular then let me know. In this trip I m only opening my bank account with NAB. I have already filled the account opening form online. I wm opening a joint account with wife.
good luck.. have fun!

·
Registered
447 Posts
If anyone wants me to find out anything in perticular then let me know. ........
Dear Brother,

I don't know your profession. Can you just get us updated about the employment market. I know you will be travelling and wouldn't have enough time to talk to agents but still, if you get the opportunity to talk to somebody, Please update me about the Accounting/Banking Job Market?

for a single guy, how much money would be good enough for initial six months in Sydney ??

Good luck upon your TRIP i hope you would like it !!

Thanks

:popcorn:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dear Brother,

I don't know your profession. Can you just get us updated about the employment market. I know you will be travelling and wouldn't have enough time to talk to agents but still, if you get the opportunity to talk to somebody, Please update me about the Accounting/Banking Job Market?

for a single guy, how much money would be good enough for initial six months in Sydney ??

Good luck upon your TRIP i hope you would like it !!

Thanks

:popcorn:
sure will give u first hand info upon my return. i have a friend from the field offinance. i am a chef by profession. i make my living by making others live.:)

regarding the monthly survival expense, i will update u on 02 oct:bump2:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
loving your posts. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Happy journey...will wait for your updates...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys,
We got our family PR visa (subclass 189) in May 2014. Just wanted to know about visa validation.
Do we need to just land in Aus once before the specified entry date in the grant letter?
OR after landing in Aus do we need to go to some embassy office and sign there or get our passports and visa grant letter validated?
Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys,
We got our family PR visa (subclass 189) in May 2014. Just wanted to know about visa validation.
Do we need to just land in Aus once before the specified entry date in the grant letter?
OR after landing in Aus do we need to go to some embassy office and sign there or get our passports and visa grant letter validated?
Thanks again!
First of all congratulations....:D now real music class starts :violin:
You have to just visit Australia along with all the members of your family who have been granted the visa. Theoretically U don't need to go any point beyond the airport where your passport will be stamped and you can return immediately. But u wont do that :D:D in fact you will add Australian national income by visiting its inner city and its attractions :p:p
just carry yellow fever card cause in some cases they have asked for it.

Reactions: ANZ and rajkonds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey ! Thanks so much Bimal :) All the best !!! Looking forward to read all ur posts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Bimal,
You mentioned you booked accomodation thru airbnb.
Can you pls tell how much is ur accomodation cost for a week? Do we have to pay some token amount in advance to book this kind of acco?
I read in these forums that we can buy prepaid sim card from the Sydney airport itself........but can we also buy Opal card from the airport ?
Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi raj I m still in Sydney busy sleeping n soaking in the every bit of this land of plenty into my life. In one word it is awesome place no crime, helpful people, no bribe no crime alert government every system works like dream but remember good dreams do not come cheap forget it free. To put it in simple terms its six times expensive then India but if two people in family work then the dream will continue forever. I will write the detailed report upon my return to India. For your air bnb question just go on site select the house contact host if s/he accepts your request then pay online full price as calculated by Airbnb website. Then book your air ticket take the how to reach directional instructions from host and take the axis from Sydney airport n reach to the destination.

Reactions: ANZ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aah I meant take taxi from airport. Its difficult to write on phone that too while walking I will attach some images to clarify the costs

Reactions: ANZ

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey BimalKumar

what happened to you?? did you forget to write your Sydney validation trip experiences??

I was eagerly looking forward to it...thanks :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey BimalKumar

what happened to you?? did you forget to write your Sydney validation trip experiences??

I was eagerly looking forward to it...thanks :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi mamu I have definitely not forgotten. I am still travelling in India hence don't have stable connectivity to post my pics and details. But will do so soon say by 15 October. I will try not to miss this deadline. But to give a gist of my trip:- it was fantastic trip for our family of four. We travelled from Delhi by Malaysia airline. Journey was pleasant. Sydney airport checkout was smooth we took taxi went to our acco which was a 2 bedroom house hired on air bnb website. We stayed there for 6 nights and cooked our own vegetarian food.our expense on fruits n vegetables were 79 $ other groceries were 43$. We did all our shoppings from also stores. Taxi from airport to Artarmon was 77$. We travelled in Sydney by train by using opal card. Total cost was 120$. Travelling on Sundays cost only 2.5$ per person. We took advantage of it and on Sundays we travelled on ferries, buses to opera house and many many places. Our 120 $ on opal card also includes our journey back to Sydney airport. Experience in overall terms was excellent and I wish I could stay there whole of my life. Jobs are not big issues. If u r willing to work hard and have dignity of labour means if you consider all work is work n work worship( that's what Australians believe in) then you don't need to worry. I almost got job in aldi store and in a restaurant with payment of 23$ per hour n in restaurant at 27$ per hour. Which was not bad. Other details later.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi mamu I have definitely not forgotten. I am still travelling in India hence don't have stable connectivity to post my pics and details. But will do so soon say by 15 October. I will try not to miss this deadline. But to give a gist of my trip:- it was fantastic trip for our family of four. We travelled from Delhi by Malaysia airline. Journey was pleasant. Sydney airport checkout was smooth we took taxi went to our acco which was a 2 bedroom house hired on air bnb website. We stayed there for 6 nights and cooked our own vegetarian food.our expense on fruits n vegetables were 79 $ other groceries were 43$. We did all our shoppings from also stores. Taxi from airport to Artarmon was 77$. We travelled in Sydney by train by using opal card. Total cost was 120$. Travelling on Sundays cost only 2.5$ per person. We took advantage of it and on Sundays we travelled on ferries, buses to opera house and many many places. Our 120 $ on opal card also includes our journey back to Sydney airport. Experience in overall terms was excellent and I wish I could stay there whole of my life. Jobs are not big issues. If u r willing to work hard and have dignity of labour means if you consider all work is work n work worship( that's what Australians believe in) then you don't need to worry. I almost got job in aldi store and in a restaurant with payment of 23$ per hour n in restaurant at 27$ per hour. Which was not bad. Other details later.
thanks for your post....thank God, you returned back safe. waiting for your full post in details...good to know about your positive review of Sydney. I booked my ticket for mid jan...hope to catch you there one day !!!

Till then enjoy your stay in India... :fencing:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts