Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

First of all, this forum has been always helpful to me. Thanks to the moderators and to everyone who spends a bit of their time to come to answer all the questions here!

To my case, simple and objective, but as I like to be sure of what I need to do, I'd like to ask you what's the best way for me.

I'm currently staying in a city in France, but really close to the border with Switzerland. I have a Swiss tourist visa, the airport in Geneva was the closest one to my boyfriend's hometown in France, thats why we always land there.

I will marry him in a month or two, we're going to the mairie this week to check the procedures for the marriage.

What I'd like to know is, after my marriage, having a Swiss tourist visa, can I ask for my spouse visa in the brazilian embassy in Paris? Or do I need to go back to brazil just for it?
Would it be easier if I had a french tourist visa and went to the embassy and ask to change my visa from tourist to spouse?
I'm trying to avoid to go back to Brazil for now as the tickets are really expensive.

Thank you very much for your help, always!

Nathalia

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Getting married in France isn't always a trivial task, so once you have the requirements (be sure to ask at the mairie the requirements for a foreigner to marry a French citizen - there are a few "extras" involved) be sure to allow yourself a good 30 to 40 days to get all the paperwork together. (Some of it you'll need to get from the Brazilian consulate in Paris, which may or may not involve a personal appearance there.)

As far as changing your visa, technically, no, you can't change status if you're currently on a tourist visa. See this page from Service Public https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F2209 . Click on the drop down for Epoux de français and it explains the conditions for changing from a tourist visa to a spouse visa. The one I think you'll have a problem with is six months of co-habitation in France. But see what you think.

Otherwise you will have to return to Brazil. You can only get a visa through a French Consulate and it has to be the French Consulate that covers the area in which you have legal residence - so a quick hop into Switzerland won't work, either, unless you can prove that you are resident in Switzerland.

One consolation - once you have your livret de famille (the French document of your marriage), which should be delivered to you within a few days of your marriage, the actual spouse visa process is pretty much just a matter of providing the paperwork and a few days to get the visa back. It's something you could easily do if you were, for example, to plan a brief honeymoon back in Brazil (to share the happy news with friends and family back there).

Otherwise, if you find that the marriage is going to take longer than you thought, you could return to Brazil and apply there for a visitor visa for, say, a year. Then, get married on your return to France, and after six months you'd meet the requirements for changing status at the local prefecture. (You aren't actually getting a spouse visa when you go this route - you're changing the status of your residence permit.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, Bev. Thanks for the info!

I guess the only way is to go back to Brazil to apply for my visa then.
Glad that at least it'll take just a few days.

Thanks again for the help! Have a good day!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts