Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently come to Dubai as my fiance is working over here (I'm not working), and I can't obtain residency until we're married. I'm from the UK so entered the country on a 30 day visa. I understand from reading other threads that I can cross the border to Oman and return to obtain another 30 day visa. I have also read that you can pay to extend this for 60 days.

I know that rules change all the time and have read conflicting information, some say you can only extend your tourist visa once and some suggest there's a limit to how many times you can do border runs. Also I've read that you may have to leave the country for 30 days.

Please can anyone clarify the current rules? I'm nervous about doing the border run and also concerned about unknowingly breaking any rules and/or being forced to leave the country. I plan on returning to the UK roughly every 3 months until we get married.

Any help or advice which can be offered will be gratefully recieved! Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

·
Registered
377 Posts
You will be fine. Search the Hatta run process on the forum, all the details are there that you need.

Also, FlyDubai has a flight to Muscat. Basically, you get off plane to a bus, get out at the terminal, follow connecting flight signs. Board back on same plane and return. You don't even have to pay for visa in Oman. They give you both boarding passes in Dubai.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
on a Uk passport you can go every 40 days to the Hatta border. Takes about hour and half to get there, and if its quiet you can be in and out in 10 minutes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your responses, we've found some people who take people in a mini bus to the border every Saturday so I think we're going to go with them- safety in numbers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jessop...I too am moving to Dubai on June 20th and a bit nervous I wont get a job quickly especially because its summer and that I will more than likely need a few visa extensions. Is it actually legal??!
Just wondering did you do the run yet and where did you find info on the bus?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tried to PM you and I can't, this may be because you're a new member, if you write 5 or more posts you'll be upgraded and I can send you a PM then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great thanks Jessop! Would really appreciate that.
How are you finding it? We are moving at just the right time...not!! Getting nice and hot!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Swings and roundabouts at the moment, it's a place of crazy laws, crazy driving and crazy heat! But I've been to some wonderful places, met some lovely people and all in all I'm glad that I'm here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.