Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fiancé and I are just about to send off the documents for his fiancé visa application to Sheffield, but we're struggling with getting the return postage sorted. He's sending it to Sheffield (from the USA) and I think I've seen people mention on here something about setting up an account with FedEx. However we tried that and it required details such as when the parcel would be mailed, which obviously we don't know. Any ideas on how to do this?? We really need help. Another option is for me to buy the return postage in the UK but I don't know if that's possible, as we want the parcel to be trackable... Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
924 Posts
My fiancé and I are just about to send off the documents for his fiancé visa application to Sheffield, but we're struggling with getting the return postage sorted. He's sending it to Sheffield (from the USA) and I think I've seen people mention on here something about setting up an account with FedEx. However we tried that and it required details such as when the parcel would be mailed, which obviously we don't know. Any ideas on how to do this?? We really need help. Another option is for me to buy the return postage in the UK but I don't know if that's possible, as we want the parcel to be trackable... Does anyone have any advice?
Your fiancé needs to go online and open an account with FedEx. You don't need any shipping specifics to do that. When he attaches a debit or credit card to the account, he will be able to complete the waybills with only the account number. Then the charges will be billed to him at the time of shipping - you won't need to know the weight in advance. It is really quite simple and each waybill will have an ID number that you will use for tracking the package. This is a huge help, especially while you are waiting for it to come back. :)

He will need to do one waybill for sending TO Sheffield, then complete a second by reversing the information - list Sheffield info as the sender and his info as the recipient and check the box that any fees will be paid by him under his account number. Attach the second waybill to a plastic "pak" envelope and fold and include with his application. This takes care of the return of his documents. It is advisable to limit the weight (and size) of his application to 5lbs or less (mine was around 2lbs) then the return will be slightly less due to the UKBA keeping what they need.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your fiancé needs to go online and open an account with FedEx. You don't need any shipping specifics to do that. When he attaches a debit or credit card to the account, he will be able to complete the waybills with only the account number. Then the charges will be billed to him at the time of shipping - you won't need to know the weight in advance. It is really quite simple and each waybill will have an ID number that you will use for tracking the package. This is a huge help, especially while you are waiting for it to come back. :)

He will need to do one waybill for sending TO Sheffield, then complete a second by reversing the information - list Sheffield info as the sender and his info as the recipient and check the box that any fees will be paid by him under his account number. Attach the second waybill to a plastic "pak" envelope and fold and include with his application. This takes care of the return of his documents. It is advisable to limit the weight (and size) of his application to 5lbs or less (mine was around 2lbs) then the return will be slightly less due to the UKBA keeping what they need.

Good luck!
Hi Water Dragon - I am the aforementioned fiance :p When preparing a waybill online through FedEx.com, Section 3 of the relevant form does require you to include a Ship Date and a Weight for the package (I've attached a screenshot--hopefully it works and you can see for yourself). I've just gotten off the phone with a FedEx customer service representative in the UK, and she told me that FedEx will carry out shipments for up to 5 days after the date identified in the Waybill, and that if I put the date as far off as possible (i.e. the latest possible date I can select as of right now is 1 Nov), they will still carry out shipments on our visa docs up to 5 days after that. But as you understand, that's a pretty big risk to take :( I mean, what if it takes longer than that for them to process it (even though we have paid for expedited processing)?

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Hi Water Dragon - I am the aforementioned fiance :p When preparing a waybill online through FedEx.com, Section 3 of the relevant form does require you to include a Ship Date and a Weight for the package (I've attached a screenshot--hopefully it works and you can see for yourself). I've just gotten off the phone with a FedEx customer service representative in the UK, and she told me that FedEx will carry out shipments for up to 5 days after the date identified in the Waybill, and that if I put the date as far off as possible (i.e. the latest possible date I can select as of right now is 1 Nov), they will still carry out shipments on our visa docs up to 5 days after that. But as you understand, that's a pretty big risk to take :( I mean, what if it takes longer than that for them to process it (even though we have paid for expedited processing)?
It is much easier for the US half to do it. We have FedEx offices all over and once the online account is set up, all you need to do is pick up some waybills, paks, etc from the local office, which is also probably where you would drop off the packet when it is ready to go. I lived in Maine and that is how I did mine.

If you are trying to arrange it from the UK, I don't have much experience to help you. My only personal experience from this side was when my then fiancé had to send me some documents from Scotland and he had to travel quite a ways out of town to get to a FedEx office. So, it definitely isn't an easy task from here.

Hope you can work out something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've just had a bit of a weird experience with this. We opened an account with FedEx but didn't include the return Waybill. Our package arrived in Sheffield on Monday and we received notification that a decision had been made via email this morning and also informing us that they had dispatched our documents to us via UPS. Not sure how that works or if we'll be required to pay any extra for it but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
When I sent my package in last year, I enclosed a DHL pak bag and a self addressed prepaid waybill to go along with it.

I can't remember how much I paid for return shipping, but to get an estimate of the cost, you could use the shipping weight of your outbound package as the return package weight (it couldn't weigh any more than that, as the visa is a sticker in the passport and they don't return all of the documentation that you send) and go from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.