Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening all.
After a successful tourist visa application my filipina girlfriend has just returned home after a fantastic 7 weeks here in the UK with me. So..we got engaged and are now starting to consider the requirements for her to return so we can get married and settle in the UK early 2016. Firstly I just want to confirm the visa we need, I initially thought it was a marriage visa but now realise it isn't ! Questions regarding English competency will follow !!!
Thanks in advance for any thoughts

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
To marry in UK and stay on, she needs fiancée visa (also called marriage visa). She needs to meet the English requirement, get TB test done, and you have to meet the financial requirement of earning at least £18,600 gross plus have suitable accommodation. When granted, she has to marry in UK and switch to leave to remain as spouse within 6 months.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joppa

Thanks for the reply. The marriage visa states that it's good, providing...'you?re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership' and also that you can't switch visas. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it.? I knew about the TB test so that shouldn't be a problem. With regards the English compliance, her degree was taught in English so we're hoping that this will satisfy but how will we know.?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
You're probably looking at a "marriage visitor" visa which is very different from a fiance visa (or "marriage visa"). The marriage visitor visa is almost the same as a general visitor visa, with the notable exception that it gives you permission to marry in the UK. As with a general visitor visa, you will need to leave the UK within six months no matter what. You can't immediately stay on as a spouse.

A "fiance visa" gives you permission to marry in the UK, then switch to a "spouse visa" (further leave to remain) immediately after the marriage takes place. It's a direct route to settlement and therefore subjects the UK partner to a financial requirement.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I'm either being incredibly daft or they have changed the categories as there only seems to be a marriage visitor visa which I understand is not want I'm after. The best I can find is the 'Apply to join family living permanently in the UK' visa as reading further down it states that engaged couples fit into this category. Like I said, not what I expected but it seems to fit.?!

One thing I have noticed thats worth a shout is that after November 2015 applicants can no longer use English taught degrees to prove their language abitlity, having to take the required test. I guess government can find a way to extract more money from us and make life that little bit harder :/

Many thanks

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
On online visa application site, select Settlement > Settlement > Marriage.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Am i correct in thinking that we also need to provide proof of engagement/intent to marry.?
We're going to try and get her degree certified to the a1 standard and get the application in before the rules change after November !

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
Yes, you have to show that you've made some plans for a wedding with receipts for any normal wedding related items like rings, dress, venue, photographer, flowers, cake, etc.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just browsing and saw your topic, this is the same visa I'm getting, so I can try to help.

As for your question, yes, things like ring receipts, her dress payment, and possible idea of purchasing a venue or down payment on one(I think they ask where you plan to get married in the application so have one picked out before applying)

Reactions: Travelling Surfer83

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you so much for the assistance! It's a little tricky as she's back in the philippines now but we can work round that :) Do you have to provide anything from the registrar to prove you have given notice of your marriage ?
Did you find the UK visa site a little bit unclear regarding the required visa category ?!
Thanks again

·
Registered
465 Posts
For me, I met with the registrar back in May about our wedding and she gave us her official documents, and what she's planning on doing at the wedding. That said though I don't think this counts as official proof --or at least I haven't planned to put it in the visa. I am going to provide the contract that the venue gave us though, that I signed.

I did find it a bit confusing, but the one I think you're looking for is (on the application) settlement - settlement - marriage
(though dont go applying to that just yet, I havent 100% verified everything yet on my end :) haha )

Anyway, thats the fiance visa I am applying under.
I'm just trying to figure it out all myself too, its pretty hard to keep everything on track. I need to research it again.

You can read more here which talks about the visa after that and staying with family
here

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so maybe 1 or 2 phone calls to be made and the exciting bit of choosing a venue ! Keep in touch and let me know how things are going and ill do likewise.
Thanks ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Is there a special reason why you want the marriage to take place in the UK?

Would it be easier for you to marry overseas and then apply for a spouse visa?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Logistics really. I felt more confident organising it from this end. We would look to go back after the wedding for a ceremony in the philippines for her friends and family.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.