Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, So my wife and I have been working on our visa process for awhile so that she can return to NZ and get her old job back. She was there before for a year on a temp visa but would now like to go there for good. And her old job there have said that they'd hire her back, full time so we just need to work on the visa process which is very time consuming. So awhile back I was on the immigration site for NZ and read about all the different options for different visas for moving there and I had thought that I'd read something on there about being sponsored by someone there but now I can't seem to find anything about it. Can anyone here give me any info on it or a possible link to where it was that I'd read that at before, etc... Any help would help us explore and work on our options. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,929 Posts
Hey all, So my wife and I have been working on our visa process for awhile so that she can return to NZ and get her old job back. She was there before for a year on a temp visa but would now like to go there for good. And her old job there have said that they'd hire her back, full time so we just need to work on the visa process which is very time consuming. So awhile back I was on the immigration site for NZ and read about all the different options for different visas for moving there and I had thought that I'd read something on there about being sponsored by someone there but now I can't seem to find anything about it. Can anyone here give me any info on it or a possible link to where it was that I'd read that at before, etc... Any help would help us explore and work on our options. Thanks.
There are visas that require a person to have evidence of sufficient funds to cover all living expenses for the duration of that visa. If I remember correctly these only surround visitor visas, study visas, job search visas and visas relating to a person joining family in NZ - maybe a parent or grandparent. In those cases there's an option for an eligible person already living in NZ to support that person's visa and assist financially by pledging to sponsor them.
To my knowledge this has nothing to do with any type of visa allowing work......simply because a person wouldn't need sponsorship or support as the job itself is the support as you'd be getting paid for the work and the payment will or should cover all your expenses whilst living here.

For a person to come and live/study/work in NZ you need at least one of these :-
(1) NZ work experience
(2) NZ study experience
(3) An job offer from an NZ employer

With a job offer the person can apply for a temporary work visa for up to 5 years - this could be an Essential Skills Visa or Work To residency visa or Talent/Accredited Employer Visa.....there's a few and the one to go for all depends on your individual circumstances. The duration depends on the job offer and the company offering it etc. Also, depending on the job/responsibilities/company/salary it is possible then for a partner and dependents to also tag along on their own individual visas linked to the holder of the temporary work visa but that person will have to meet a sufficient salary threshold for that to be possible. In general only takes a matter of weeks.
Unless you have a written job offer that Immigration is satisfied with you cannot apply for a temporary work visa. NZ work or study experience counts for nothing in the temporary work visa world.

Another option with having any of the above is to go straight for a Resident Visa via Skilled Migrant Category. This is a points system and a partner plus dependents can all go on the same application. Takes a lot longer and more expensive. Your EOI will need to score at least 160 points for it to be selected from the pool. In general most people nowadays need the additional points from a job offer to have enough points on the EOI for it to be selected, but it is not mandatory to have a job offer so long as you have one of the other two and have sufficient points in total. The principal applicant will get 50 for a job offer and if outside Auckland Council region a further 30 points......so as you can see with a job offer outside Auckland you are already half way there!
If you have sufficient points but don't have any of the three the most you will get is a job search visa for the principal applicant.

Best way to go is to get the written job offer, hope it is of a sufficient salary, hope the company offering it are accredited by Immigration and then start asking questions as to the logistics of getting a visa.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts