Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a job offer from a US company. The position is for two years. My questions are as follows:

1) what sort of visa will I need
2) what sort of visa will my wife need, and
3) will my wife be allowed to work in the US?

I've done some googling, but there's so much info out there it's hard to find answers to specific questions. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi, so I have a job offer from a US company. The position is for two years. My questions are as follows:

1) what sort of visa will I need
2) what sort of visa will my wife need, and
3) will my wife be allowed to work in the US?

I've done some googling, but there's so much info out there it's hard to find answers to specific questions. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Thanks!
You don't say what the job is.

Possibly H1b, wife on H4 which doesn't allow work. However, the visa allocation is now out and there won't be any more until April 2010 for start date of Oct 2010.

Possibly E2 if you are a manager and the company fits the requirements. Spouse's visa is also E2 and allows work.

Possibly L1 if you already work for a foreign branch of the same company. Spouse's visa is an L2 and allows work.

Possibly a whole host of other, less common ones, if you fit the criteria.

Possibly none if the work doesn't fit the required criteria..

·
Administrator
50,378 Posts
If you're going for a work visa of any sort, it's the employer who has to start the visa process (by "petitioning" on your behalf). It's only after the petition is granted that you can then apply for a visa at your local consulate.

It's the employer who needs to be checking on the sort of visa they need to get you on the job.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts