Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My head hurts! My husband has been offered a job in Los Angeles. He is an Engineer, I am a qualified social worker and we have a 3 year old son.

I think he will be offered an L1 visa - I'm confused as to whether I will be able to work or not on this visa? Some sites say no, as I will be H4 visa and need sponsorship for a job, other sites say I can.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks!

Yvonne

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Please double-check with your husband. H4 does not authorize you to work in the US but it is normally tied to an H1.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Hi all,

My head hurts! My husband has been offered a job in Los Angeles. He is an Engineer, I am a qualified social worker and we have a 3 year old son.

I think he will be offered an L1 visa - I'm confused as to whether I will be able to work or not on this visa? Some sites say no, as I will be H4 visa and need sponsorship for a job, other sites say I can.

Can anyone clarify please?

Thanks!

Yvonne
If he's on an L1 (or E1/2 visa), you will be allowed to work. Your EAD (employment authorization document) application cannot be made until you get to the US, and it normally takes up to 90 days.

If he's on an H1b visa, you won't be able to work.

L1 is for an intra-company transfer, E1/2 is for a British company trading in the US, and H1b is for skilled workers. There are other, less common, visas he might also qualify for. I have no idea which fits your case! Sometimes all 3 might and the immigration attorney will steer you to the best one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts