Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My agent is asking to deposit 3.23 lac to his account so that he can pay the visa fee (me and my wife) from his CC.

The conversion he's taking is @ 63 Rs. instead of Rs. 58 or 59. :mad:

I called the agent and asked if I can pay using Travelers card, from HDFC. He refused and said this is illegal. :confused:

Is this confirmed that the fee can be paid using Travelers card? HDFC guy was asking for Rs. 124 and some docs etc..

Please suggest guys.. !! :eek:

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi 2013,

unfortunately, DIBP only accepts credit card payments for online applications and payments must be made in Australian dollars (see: How to Pay). If you have a credit card you can negotiate/argue with your agent about the conversion and banking fees. If you first hand over the money to them and they pay for the visa via the agency credit card, fees may occur twice.

Maybe there is an option that he can prepare the application but you can use your own payment details to minimize the overhead. Note that you never get the daily conversion rates advertised on the internet but there is always a gap between buying (= converting to) and selling (= converting from).

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi 2013,

unfortunately, DIBP only accepts credit card payments for online applications and payments must be made in Australian dollars (see: How to Pay). If you have a credit card you can negotiate/argue with your agent about the conversion and banking fees. If you first hand over the money to them and they pay for the visa via the agency credit card, fees may occur twice.

Maybe there is an option that he can prepare the application but you can use your own payment details to minimize the overhead. Note that you never get the daily conversion rates advertised on the internet but there is always a gap between buying (= converting to) and selling (= converting from).

Cheers,
Monika

That's quite different you say from many people who say that we can use travel card in the below thread. In fact, many indians paid through travel card which doesn't have exchange rates too, but just Rs 200 (3.5$) for the card. That's all.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...lia/175873-how-pay-australlian-visa-fees.html

Could you please advice.

Best regards,
JR

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi JR,

yeah, that's because most travel cards are usually issued by Visa, Mastercard etc. - so they double as credit cards. There are other pre-paid credit card options as well. I am not sure why 2013's agent would say that's illegal? Except if the bank only "allows" you to use the card while traveling, I guess.

Or maybe it's against agency policy using a customer's own payment details directly and it has to go through their account...

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi JR,

yeah, that's because most travel cards are usually issued by Visa, Mastercard etc. - so they double as credit cards. There are other pre-paid credit card options as well. I am not sure why 2013's agent would say that's illegal? Except if the bank only "allows" you to use the card while traveling, I guess.

Or maybe it's against agency policy using a customer's own payment details directly and it has to go through their account...

Cheers,
Monika
Hi Monica,

how can we say this is illegal? Normally Banks are issuing Traveller card for E-commerce and ATM Transactions in overseas. If Australlian Dollars are filled in the traveller card, we can withdraw the dollars from ATM counters in Australlia and can do the online transactions in Australlian Websites. Since DIAC's site is Australlian, we can use Traveller Card for the payments. Please note that most of the Airline site supports only credit card and traveller card.

I have done my payment through ICICI Traveller card and after that I have pen down a thread based on that.

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/au...lia/175873-how-pay-australlian-visa-fees.html

This is from my real experience.

I think the agent of 2013 is playing the game for earning money. His rate is too greater than bank's selling rate. Normally Banks selling rate is one or two rupees greater than the normal rate which we see in the internet.

Hope this will help...

If any doubts, please PM me

Thanks

Manoj

Reactions: jre05

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi Monica,

how can we say this is illegal? Normally Banks are issuing Traveller card for E-commerce and ATM Transactions in overseas. If Australlian Dollars are filled in the traveller card, we can withdraw the dollars from ATM counters in Australlia and can do the online transactions in Australlian Websites. Since DIAC's site is Australlian, we can use Traveller Card for the payments. Please note that most of the Airline site supports only credit card and traveller card.

I have done my payment through ICICI Traveller card and after that I have pen down a thread based on that.

This is from my real experience.

I think the agent of 2013 is playing the game for earning money. His rate is too greater than bank's selling rate. Normally Banks selling rate is one or two rupees greater than the normal rate which we see in the internet.

Hope this will help...

If any doubts, please PM me

Thanks

Manoj
That's exactly is my point and that's why, having gone through your whole thread, I posted to Monica (Expresso).

In fact, some other friends of mine from India also used travel card of ICICI recently and they just spent Rs 200 for the card and no conversion charges in payment.

I still didn't get Expresso's point. But what she says could also be true, as I know, she mouths only if she knows it correctly.

Puzzled:confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
That's exactly is my point and that's why, having gone through your whole thread, I posted to Monica (Expresso).

In fact, some other friends of mine from India also used travel card of ICICI recently and they just spent Rs 200 for the card and no conversion charges in payment.

I still didn't get Expresso's point. But what she says could also be true, as I know, she mouths only if she knows it correctly.

Puzzled:confused:
Hi

Count me also in the list who have paid their fees with traveler card. It was through Axis bank:)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone else??

What about using an international debit card??

what will be the charges 3 % something of the amount I transfer? ??

My friend has a limit of 3+ lac. I can use his debit card.

Suggestions please.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anyone else??

What about using an international debit card??

what will be the charges 3 % something of the amount I transfer? ??

My friend has a limit of 3+ lac. I can use his debit card.

Suggestions please.
Hi 2013

Why dont you try this option of travel card. seems like agent is playing smart with you. Do one thing, go for this travel card and just give details of the card for payment. No need to disclose him that its a travel card.
Even if the bank will charge 3% (which i am sure is not and there are more taxes over it), it will become a healthy amount. You can save it i guess. Moreover, you can get this travel card in a day. I paid the $ conversion of Rs59 fro travel card.
rest is upto you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi 2013

Why dont you try this option of travel card. seems like agent is playing smart with you. Do one thing, go for this travel card and just give details of the card for payment. No need to disclose him that its a travel card.
Even if the bank will charge 3% (which i am sure is not and there are more taxes over it), it will become a healthy amount. You can save it i guess. Moreover, you can get this travel card in a day. I paid the $ conversion of Rs59 fro travel card.
rest is upto you.
I went to ICICI bank today, the guy refused to give the card as it requires visa stamped and air tickets. :confused:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi 2013,

Try to visit another branch of ICICI with print out of invitation email and pages which has Visa fee details on DIAC website (especially table that contains your visa subclass ) & passport xerox. However, you should have ICICI account already to get travel card. It's subject to the relationship manager you meet to agree for issuing Travel card. All the best.

ANZSCO Code:263212|ACS:applied(29-Dec'12)|ACS:+ve Result(25-Feb'13)| |IELTS:L.7,R.6.5,W.6,S.7.5| ACT SS- appld(19-sep'13), confirmed(7-nov'13)| Sent from Vamshi using my iPhone

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll the hard copy + diac pdf + passport copy tomorrow.

In a different branch... lets c

thanks. . Will keep you posted

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi 2013,

I'd like to add that I have no personal experience using travel cards.

But according to the ICICI web page and the Terms of Use, you only need the following to get a travel card:

Passport
A2 form
PAN / Form 60 (in case cash paid above Rs.25,000)
Legally, it seems to be a bit of a conundrum: You may use it to pay over the internet, but you cannot use it in India to withdraw money and less than 2000$ may remain on the card:

Can the ICICI Bank Travel Card be used over the Internet?
Yes. For VISA and MASTERCARD, the cardholder first needs to activate his/her card for the Internet usage while in case of AMERICAN EXPRESS®, the card is pre-activated.
Can one retain the foreign exchange on the ICICI Bank Travel Card after returning to India?
One can retain the card only if the balance remaining on the card is less than $2000. Else the amount needs to be refunded within 180 days from the date of arrival*. In case refund is not made on time, the card would be suspended and the card holder can face legal action.
I'd still recommend to talk to your ICICI bank clerk/manager about the conditions on their product, to ensure that the usage is legal. But as far as I understand the rules, getting a travel card just to pay the visa fee (and canceling the card afterwards) should be legal.

All the best,
Monika

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi 2013,

But according to the ICICI web page and the Terms of Use, you only need the following to get a travel card:

Legally, it seems to be a bit of a conundrum: You may use it to pay over the internet, but you cannot use it in India to withdraw money and less than 2000$ may remain on the card:

I'd still recommend to talk to your ICICI bank clerk/manager about the conditions on their product, to ensure that the usage is legal. But as far as I understand the rules, getting a travel card just to pay the visa fee (and canceling the card afterwards) should be legal.

All the best,
Monika
Dear Monika,

Congrats.. Great job and effort...

Thanks
Manoj

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Hi 2013,

All the best,
Monika
Thank you Monika, that helps a lot :) :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mission accomplished !!! :D
Went to different branch today, told them that i'll be travelling soon to Aus. Need card to pay visa fee and travel expenses.

And got the card. :cool:

Thanks all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mission accomplished !!! :D
Went to different branch today, told them that i'll be travelling soon to Aus. Need card to pay visa fee and travel expenses.

And got the card. :cool:

Thanks all.
Congrats :)
One more step closer now

1 - 20 of 27 Posts