Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay experts, I've read all the threads and been thoroughly educated but I may have a unique position that I need some advice on.

I'm an Australian with a UK wife and 20 month old son. We moved to France from the UK in February with a view to long term stay. Just prior to coming to France, I received my UK citizenship, but left for France immediately and couldn't organise my UK passport, so effectively traveled here on the Aussie passport, and thus was eligible for the 90/180 day tourist visa.

In mid July we go back to the UK for 3 months, where I'll get my UK passport and return to France in October to go through the long term process.

However on the Aussie passport, I'll have done 3 months come Mid-May, and with 2 months left to go to return to UK, am worried am I overstaying my tourist visa.

My question is as a spouse and father of a UK citizens, and being a UK citizen myself (all be it without a passport) will I be overstaying? Or is there some way of making myself legal before my return to the UK in July.

Any help appreciated, if not reciprocated.

Benders

·
Registered
157 Posts
Do you have any paperwork saying you've been granted UK citizenship? I wouldn't worry since you technically don't need a visa at all to be here. If you have any paperwork from the UK saying you have UK nationality I would just carry a copy with your Australian passport. If you're concerned look up how to register as the spouse of an EU citizen at the prefecture - from other threads on here it seemed like you don't need a visa for that either. But even without doing that I wouldn't worry since you're a legitimate UK citizen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Qiubuo, I do have my official original UK citizenship certificate, plus the marriage certificate to UK wife, so can prove my UK bona fides. Was just concerned about toing and froing between and possible risking an overstay ban, even if the chance is remote.

But appreciate your insight

·
Registered
157 Posts
They're really not very strict about people from developed countries overstaying their tourist visa, so considering that you are an EU citizen I really wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
974 Posts
There really is nothing to worry about since even without your EU passport you have the right to live in an EU country with your EU wife. You can get a carte de sejour as the spouse of an EU national as you're living together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.