Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am applying for an ancestry visa and want to know if anyone can recommend a visa agency in New York City.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would recommend not wasting your money. Why do you think you can't do it yourself?
I can do it myself. But it is a massive pain with the new procedures. There is so much ambiguity of just what papers need to be presented for an ancestry visa today. Things have changed a lot int he past three years.

·
Registered
39,079 Posts
ursprung said:
I can do it myself. But it is a massive pain with the new procedures. There is so much ambiguity of just what papers need to be presented for an ancestry visa today. Things have changed a lot int he past three years.
Haven't noticed a big change in requirements for ancestry visa. All you need from what I remember (I'm away at mom) is documentary proof of ancestry (birth and marriage certificates), your willingness to work and some money in savings to get you started. UKBA site will give you details.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

Thanks to you both. Yes, I know it is not rocket science, but when I was in London talking to a lawyer, he thought I would have to show incredible savings which is odd because for a Tier 1 visa that amount is paultry even without job contract. I do have substantial savings in a UK bank. I guess I was worried because this solicitor I spoke to seemed to make it out to be more complex. Add to that my dual nationality and the fact I am living in Asia, I wanted a service to expedite the process so I am not stuck in North America for too too long. There is apparently a service that is done with these agencies that allows for us to have a visa fairly rapidly that is not available to the public. And for $100 it seems worth it. I will let you know the reality of this however as I write from Indonesia and have contacted them via email only.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
18,064 Posts
Thanks to you both. Yes, I know it is not rocket science, but when I was in London talking to a lawyer, he thought I would have to show incredible savings which is odd because for a Tier 1 visa that amount is paultry even without job contract. I do have substantial savings in a UK bank. I guess I was worried because this solicitor I spoke to seemed to make it out to be more complex. Add to that my dual nationality and the fact I am living in Asia, I wanted a service to expedite the process so I am not stuck in North America for too too long. There is apparently a service that is done with these agencies that allows for us to have a visa fairly rapidly that is not available to the public. And for $100 it seems worth it. I will let you know the reality of this however as I write from Indonesia and have contacted them via email only.

Cheers.
If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The use of outside expeditors to get your application put on top of the pile in the US was discontinued in 2010, I think. In it's place, you can now pay an extra fee ($300) for "priority service" when you fill out your on-line application. The only way you can expedite your visa is through the Worldbridge site. See the link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/usa/worldbridge-services/?langname=UK English

So, again, don't waste your money. Whatever service this outfit says they provide, hurrying through your visa isn't one of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for your honesty. I was a bit confused when this agency sent me a letter from the Home Office dated three years back. It seemed weird to send me such old correspondence.

That said, have any of you done this visa? I have read the procedure and I would rather love to know a) how long this will take on a regular procedure and b) what are the steps. To read the Home Office's explanation boggles my mind a bit as the linearity is obscured. I fill out the form online and then book a biometric appointment?

If anyone has recent experience a step by step walk through would definitely be appreciated.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.