Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am super far from even getting the Visa, but my question is once you have it how long do you have to make your way to Australia? I ask because our move wont be very easy since we have cars and a house to sell.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ok so I am super far from even getting the Visa, but my question is once you have it how long do you have to make your way to Australia? I ask because our move wont be very easy since we have cars and a house to sell.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
Your initial entry date will be mentioned in your grant. you have to make your move atleast once before that to validate your visa. the entry date will be in most cases 1 yr from your penal clearance certificate or medicals which ever is earlier.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your initial entry date will be mentioned in your grant. you have to make your move atleast once before that to validate your visa. the entry date will be in most cases 1 yr from your penal clearance certificate or medicals which ever is earlier.
Actually that is not entirely true. You have to validate your visa by entering (in the case of a 175 or 176) within generally a year of your PCCs or Medicals (whichever is first). Once you have entered you can leave again and have 5 years in which to make the final move.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Actually that is not entirely true. You have to validate your visa by entering (in the case of a 175 or 176) within generally a year of your PCCs or Medicals (whichever is first). Once you have entered you can leave again and have 5 years in which to make the final move.
I think I tried to convey the same message :)

but when you make initial entry and as you said say take 5 years to make final move and within 6 months my PR visa expires, will I get RRV without any issues?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi Elaine,

Your grant letter will indicate the entry date that you must enter Australia. For my visa 175, it was about 9 months from the grant date of my visa. To clarify what you need to watch for. The visa is valid for 5 years and that is only for if you need to travel outside of Australia.

Please be aware that you need at least 2 years residency in Australia in order to qualify for the 5 year return resident visa. If you aren't able to to fulfill the 2 year residency, there is another 3 month return residence visa that will allow you entry back to Australia. Please review more information, in immi.gov.au about the requirements. I know that since you are currently living in Canada, you will want to visit Canada to see family and friends or vacation in other countries. While you are in Australia you are still a permanent resident even after your visa expires. It's only when you return to Australia that having a valid visa becomes an issue.

I am currently in the situation that you are talking about selling the house,etc. I haven't quite made the move yet even though I have the visa. I don't know how long it will take for your visa 175 to be processed and a decision to be made. Once you apply, you should receive an email dictating the approximation of when the visa will be processed,etc. For me, that email said up to a year. But it actually took about 5 months from when I submitted the application and being approved. It probably could have been earlier but there was a delay in my FBI clearance.

I would probably say when the time comes when you will go to Australia to validate your visa, you don't necessarily have to move at that time. However, it will be a good time to try to set up job interviews so when you arrive, you can start interviewing with companies. Many of these companies prefer that you already live in Australia. So if you can at least interview in person, you can increase your chances of getting a job.

But before you start selling your things now, have your skills assessed first to make sure that your credentials/education is recognized in Australia. Even though your occupation might be on the list, I have read incidences that some people's credentials were not recognized in Australia. They would either require further training,etc.

For now I would say, you have at least 3 years from the date of your visa grant until you need to officially move to Australia. This will give you to the 2 yr requirement in order to get the 5 yr return resident visa. Or you can come before the visa expires and just will not be able to leave Australia for 2 yrs in order to fulfill the requirement until you can apply for the 5 yr rrv.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you so much for that reply! Very informative! What we are trying to do is once we have the assessment done and the application in, we will worry about selling our stuff. The goal here is to sell everything and start fresh in Oz. I really dont want to deal with international shipping of things. Being a military brat, I have seen how crazy that process is!
in anycase, best of luck to you and thanks again!
cheers :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi Elaine,

Your grant letter will indicate the entry date that you must enter Australia. For my visa 175, it was about 9 months from the grant date of my visa. To clarify what you need to watch for. The visa is valid for 5 years and that is only for if you need to travel outside of Australia.

Please be aware that you need at least 2 years residency in Australia in order to qualify for the 5 year return resident visa. If you aren't able to to fulfill the 2 year residency, there is another 3 month return residence visa that will allow you entry back to Australia. Please review more information, in immi.gov.au about the requirements. I know that since you are currently living in Canada, you will want to visit Canada to see family and friends or vacation in other countries. While you are in Australia you are still a permanent resident even after your visa expires. It's only when you return to Australia that having a valid visa becomes an issue.

I am currently in the situation that you are talking about selling the house,etc. I haven't quite made the move yet even though I have the visa. I don't know how long it will take for your visa 175 to be processed and a decision to be made. Once you apply, you should receive an email dictating the approximation of when the visa will be processed,etc. For me, that email said up to a year. But it actually took about 5 months from when I submitted the application and being approved. It probably could have been earlier but there was a delay in my FBI clearance.

I would probably say when the time comes when you will go to Australia to validate your visa, you don't necessarily have to move at that time. However, it will be a good time to try to set up job interviews so when you arrive, you can start interviewing with companies. Many of these companies prefer that you already live in Australia. So if you can at least interview in person, you can increase your chances of getting a job.

But before you start selling your things now, have your skills assessed first to make sure that your credentials/education is recognized in Australia. Even though your occupation might be on the list, I have read incidences that some people's credentials were not recognized in Australia. They would either require further training,etc.

For now I would say, you have at least 3 years from the date of your visa grant until you need to officially move to Australia. This will give you to the 2 yr requirement in order to get the 5 yr return resident visa. Or you can come before the visa expires and just will not be able to leave Australia for 2 yrs in order to fulfill the requirement until you can apply for the 5 yr rrv.
Hi .. Really informative. Any idea does the same rules you mentioned apply for Regional 475 visa as well ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi mimran,

For applicants that are granted a visa 175 or 176 will have permanent residency. However, visa 475 is a 3 yr provisional visa. According to the DIAC website, you can apply for permanent residency if you have lived 2 years in the specific regional area you had chosen or had been assigned to and have worked full time in a total of 12 months. If you meet these requirements, it states that you need to apply for visa 887. I've read somewhere in the internet that if you applied for the visa 887 and there has been no decision made yet - and your visa 475 expires, you can apply for a bridge visa. This would allow you stay in Australia for whatever this bridge visa allows. I do not know what that bridging visa would be and maybe someone on this forum can give more details on that.

However, if you do not meet the 2 year residency requirement in this regional area and have not worked full time in a total of 12 months, then you will not be able to apply for visa 887. If your visa 475 expires, there is no 5 yr resident return visa available because this is only available for current/previous permanent residents to apply for.

Visa 175/176 allows the applicant to live and work anywhere in Australia. However, visa 475, you must work and live in the regional area that you had chosen or were approved for. As some people have stated on this forum, you are "morally" obligated to do this. If you choose to apply for visa 887 to obtain permanent residency, I'm sure you have to provide documentation of where you worked and maybe a copy of your paystub,etc.

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)
Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)
Resident Return - Online Applications

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi mimran,

For applicants that are granted a visa 175 or 176 will have permanent residency. However, visa 475 is a 3 yr provisional visa. According to the DIAC website, you can apply for permanent residency if you have lived 2 years in the specific regional area you had chosen or had been assigned to and have worked full time in a total of 12 months. If you meet these requirements, it states that you need to apply for visa 887. I've read somewhere in the internet that if you applied for the visa 887 and there has been no decision made yet - and your visa 475 expires, you can apply for a bridge visa. This would allow you stay in Australia for whatever this bridge visa allows. I do not know what that bridging visa would be and maybe someone on this forum can give more details on that.

However, if you do not meet the 2 year residency requirement in this regional area and have not worked full time in a total of 12 months, then you will not be able to apply for visa 887. If your visa 475 expires, there is no 5 yr resident return visa available because this is only available for current/previous permanent residents to apply for.

Visa 175/176 allows the applicant to live and work anywhere in Australia. However, visa 475, you must work and live in the regional area that you had chosen or were approved for. As some people have stated on this forum, you are "morally" obligated to do this. If you choose to apply for visa 887 to obtain permanent residency, I'm sure you have to provide documentation of where you worked and maybe a copy of your paystub,etc.

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration
Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 475)
Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887)
Resident Return - Online Applications

Hi jb12

" have worked full time in a total of 12 months"

So for 475, do we have to show full time work for 12 months in our nominated occupation or we can work in any occupation full time for 12 months

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi mimran,

The DIAC website does not specifically state you have to work in your nominated occupation. My interpretation is that you must live in and work in the specific regional area you were approved for. But to be sure, you might need to contact DIAC through email or phone call to confirm this.

For all the people that are approved for the skilled visa, i'm sure the Australian government will know that a skilled person will always try to seek to work in their skilled occupation. But due to various reasons when a skilled person moves to Australia does not mean that everyone will able find a job in their skilled occupation right away. If there was a restriction, there would be many skilled worker visa holders that would not be able to meet that requirement.

Unless someone on this forum that had applied and was approved for visa 887 tells you that you don't necessarily have to work in your skilled occupation, please check with DIAC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.