Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just been reading through the forms for the medical and found that you have to declare if you have received benefits due to medical reasons. My partner is applying for a partner visa and he has previously been on disability for 6 months related to depression (which was trigger by the fact that he is significantly overweight).

Im worried that this is going to prove problematic for him to pass his medical so I was wondering if anyone else had been through a medical with similar circumstances? I had already been concerned about his weight being an issue (he has been losing weight for the last year, but has a long way to go), but I did not realise his disability claim might also influence this.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi jenifermarie,

If you've read through other medical visa posts you'll know that people can be overweight (I think I was technically obese) when they do the medical and still be passed if nothing else is wrong.

I don't know about whether the disability claim will affect the medical.

Good luck.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jenifermarie,

If you've read through other medical visa posts you'll know that people can be overweight (I think I was technically obese) when they do the medical and still be passed if nothing else is wrong.

I don't know about whether the disability claim will affect the medical.

Good luck.

Regards,
Karen
Thanks for the reassurance Karen - he is right on the borderline between being given an A grade and a B grade for his weight as we have worked out his BMI is 39.9 (B grade is 40+) so he is working on that. Ive seen a few other reports about people being overweight, but you know how you panic when you put that application in (Im sure rationality leaves you temporarily until the process is over).

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Trust me I know I was dieting like mad since I had visions of us not being able to get into Oz but I was too fat! :( As it was I was fine (I don't have high blood pressure or anything else) and we've been here for 2.5 years now so it is possible.

Oh when I got here I was amazed at the size of some of the people. Especially around here there are some women that make me look skinny and that's not easy :D

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
you can ask him to go on optifast/positrim kind of diets where you replace all your meals with diet shakes. one can loose as much as 10 kgs in a month. If he starts to loose now, by the time they ask fr medicals he would be atleast 10-15 kgs down which does bring the BMI down. I was 46 BMi 3 years back, right now I am at 30. i got gastric banding done and feel wonderful

1 - 5 of 5 Posts