Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am a UK Citizen married to USA Citizen and currently we live in UK, but we are looking to move to America as my wife wants to go back after numerous years here which is fine but I need to determine really what I need to do.

I have been informed my wife can petition me from here in the UK for a L-130 which will allow me to move to USA, but what I can not determine is what I will need to be able to work in USA?

I have two scenarios for work

1) I may have a chance to transfer via my company which I am exploring but I am unsure at the moment if they will sponsor me as its a job I would have to apply for. If they say yes you can have the job but you need to sort all visa stuff out what would be my route?

2) I dont get the job in USA via my company and decide to just move anyway then look for a job do I have to apply for another visa or can I actually work on I-130?

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
53,643 Posts
The I 130 is just the first step in obtaining a US "green card" but all that is explained here: Petition for Alien Relative

The full process to actually get the visa so you can move to the US can take several months - and most people say to allow for the better part of a year if you are filing from outside the US.

As far as your job scenarios go, I believe that if your current employer offers you a job in the US, it will be their responsibility to arrange for the proper visa. Last I knew it was not legal to tell you to get the visa yourself as there are various costs involved and authorizations that the employer-to-be must obtain. In the long run, transferring you as a current employee of the company is much easier all around - but knowing that you are married to a US citizen, they may prefer that you go the green card route with your spouse.

As for scenario #2, that's basically how it works if you stay on the current path - having your wife sponsor your application for a green card. Once you get to the US, you'll be issued a US Social Security number and have authorization to work (or to start looking for work). You can start looking for a new job now, however many US employers will want to wait until your wife's petition is granted and you get your visa and work authorization.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the fast response I will take a read. I may be back with more questions im afraid when i get a little further into knowing if I am successfull or not in applying for the internal job! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts