Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear All,

Firstly let me say how useful and informative (both +ve and -ve aspects of AU) this forum is and how much I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past few days.

My partner is a medical doctor and is in a speciality which is in very high demand in AU and as such should be able to get a visa to work and train in any of the big cities. My question is should I be added onto her visa and go as her partner or apply for my own skilled visa as my profession is on the skills list?

From my research it appears that as a de facto partner I could work in any job in AU and not have to pay the many thousands of dollars a skilled visa costs. However, will employers look more highly upon a potential employee with a skilled visa? Has anyone experienced, or know off, discrimination by employers with regards to visas?

Thanks for reading

Ant

P.S. Just want to add that I'm a Physicist and so will be looking for jobs in high tech industry, scientific research and maybe finance/banking depending on job availability. All very competitive areas and that is why I don't want to be hindered in any way when looking for jobs.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Ant

welcome to the forum. if your partner comes on skilled visa here or otherwise too, say employer sponsored, you can wrk straight away. getting sill assessed is only for the DIAC and to get the visa. it has nothing ot do with employers.

my husband is an IT pro and we have applied on his skill. I am an advertising pro and I dont need to get my skill assessed. both husband wife get skill assessed if they are short of points. I plan to work in marcom when we get the visa.

Hope this clears your doubt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ant

welcome to the forum. if your partner comes on skilled visa here or otherwise too, say employer sponsored, you can wrk straight away. getting sill assessed is only for the DIAC and to get the visa. it has nothing ot do with employers.

my husband is an IT pro and we have applied on his skill. I am an advertising pro and I dont need to get my skill assessed. both husband wife get skill assessed if they are short of points. I plan to work in marcom when we get the visa.

Hope this clears your doubt.
Hi anj1976,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that there is no need for a skills assessment for partners of main visa applicants. My worry was that if two candidates for a job who are equal in every way except one is on a skilled visa and the other is the partner of a main visa applicant, would the skilled visa applicant be favoured?

I don't imagine that being the case but I just wanted to check before we start our visa application.

Thanks

Ant

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Hi Ant, all they want is a work permit, it doesn't matter if you are on spouse visa or a skilled visa where you are main applicant or otherwise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts