Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all of the information you were able to share as I was gathering all of the documents for the long stay visa. My appointment in Houston is this friday so I am starting to get a little nervous. Hoping I will get good news in the few weeks that follow. I will keep this thread updated about my experience at the consulate as well as if I get a visa or not. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an update here on my visa interview today. I showed up about 30 minutes earlier than my appointment and turned in my appointment confirmation. They called e up to the window and I gave them all of my documents required for the Visa D or long stay visitor visa. The gentleman assisting me made sure my name and information was correct on his screen, he asked me two questions about two separate documents and then had me pay the processing fee and then he took my finger prints. It was that simple, in total the "interview" or in person appearance took about ten minutes and they never asked me why I was going to France to visit or anything. The person helping me was very helpful and although he did not say whether or not I was approved he did not give me any reason to believe there would be any difficulties. I will make another update in a few days once I have received my passport back either containing a visa or not!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I have not really had a chance to give an update due to the holiday. So this Wednesday night when we checked the mail our passports had returned! It was the most nerve wrecking envelope I think I can remember opening. The good news is my wife and I both got our visas approved and we purchased our plane tickets so we will officially be moving Amiens, France January 12th of 2014. We are very excited and look forward to helping people follow through with the same process.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Congratulations!

I've been in France since 2001 and I have never regretted the move from the UK.

Good luck with the planning and the move itself.

DejW

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! we already have rented a place to stay and it will be easy getting our belongings there because we have all but sold a majority of our belongings and are storing at a family members house the few boxes of belongings we will have shipped to us later. We can't wait to make the move, the only thing we have to really settle is the bank accounts, which it sounds like we have to do in person. Thanks for the help everyone this forum was a huge helping hand.

·
Administrator
50,365 Posts
Congrats on the successful visa process! And your move date will be here sooner than you expect.

Yes, opening a bank account here in France is best done in person. (Saves having to convert from a "non-resident" account to a "resident" account later.) You also want a chance to scope out the banks in the area to see which one best fits your needs.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
231 Posts
leepster -- I'm curious if you could share how much time elapsed between you submitting your application materials to the French authorities and you being contacted by your nearest consulate to set up a meeting.

I ask because we're currently going through a similar process (but in my case for a work visa) and we're trying to anticipate how long this process may take.

Thanks

·
Administrator
50,365 Posts
A work visa is a whole different process from a non-work visa. It's your employer who has to apply for permission to hire a foreigner - through the Ministry of Labor (though I'm told the OFII is the middle man these days). Once that permission has been granted, your dossier is passed to the consulate and they then notify you to come in and submit your application.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
231 Posts
Right -- thanks, Bev. I knew that. I know our agent is in contact with the Ministry of Labor as they've already asked for some updated information about our employer. I'm just trying to get a sense of timing for the process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Right -- thanks, Bev. I knew that. I know our agent is in contact with the Ministry of Labor as they've already asked for some updated information about our employer. I'm just trying to get a sense of timing for the process.
Hey,
I can help on that cause I'm on this work process visa right now.
My "rendez-vous" on embassy will be on next Friday. The process, since my company started everything, sending my "dossier" to OFII, until I got the email asking me to schedule the interview, was 7 weeks. I have a presentation from OFII that I found on internet that is telling that the whole process with this new way (Guichet Unique) should take 6 weeks maximum, but I got 7 and I am happy with it.

I will create a post telling all my adventures and all the time I waited, since I passed on an internal job interview in my company 8 months ago, and my arrive in France, that should be Jan, 2nd.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Well, good luck with the interview!

DejW

Hey,
I can help on that cause I'm on this work process visa right now.
My "rendez-vous" on embassy will be on next Friday. The process, since my company started everything, sending my "dossier" to OFII, until I got the email asking me to schedule the interview, was 7 weeks. I have a presentation from OFII that I found on internet that is telling that the whole process with this new way (Guichet Unique) should take 6 weeks maximum, but I got 7 and I am happy with it.

I will create a post telling all my adventures and all the time I waited, since I passed on an internal job interview in my company 8 months ago, and my arrive in France, that should be Jan, 2nd.

Regards,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.