Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Jay and I will most likely have a million questions for you all today to put my neurotic tendencies at ease. I have read and searched but would like to ask one more time...

My wife (French citizen) and I married in Feb of this year. Long story short, her papi and tonton are both recovering from serious illnesses. Quite simply we don't know how long we will have to enjoy their company so we hope to leave for France Aug 30.

Our long stay visa appointment is Aug 3rd.

We have just sent the required documents for our livret de famille.

Certain things have come up that may threaten the approval of my stay.

Do they need any proof of me having "travelers insurance" and will they ask for financial records showing that she will be able to support me? Currently I am the only one that is working right now. Before we married she was a student in France living with mom so no income was flowing in.

I have no bank account as I am weary of banks but will suck it up if need be. Would pay stubs suffice from my part or would they need to see how much I have in my possible future savings account?

We plan on living with her family until she finds a stable job. Her mom has her own home and of course her grandparents would be more than happy to take us in while she looks for work. Is there any minimum amount of income they require you to have?

Also, what was the interview process like? Thank you in advance for anyone that responds.

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
France is not the US! (Thank goodness for that - in many respects.)

But the good news is, that no, your wife will not have to show any sort of "financial responsibility" documentation for you. It's almost a "right" to a spouse visa if you're married to a French national AND have your livret de famille in hand. If you don't have the livret de famille by your appointment date, you may as well free up the appointment for someone else.

The main things they will be interested in at the appointment (it's not really an "interview" - more a check-through that you have all the documents they're asking for) are proof of your marriage (i.e. your livret de marriage), proof that your wife is, indeed, French and the insurance coverage (probably only for you - though your wife will need it once you get to France).

Keep your fingers crossed that the livret de famille gets there in time. If it doesn't, you can always go to France as a "tourist" for up to 90 days, then you'll have to return to the US to pick up your livret de famille and put in the application for the visa. Getting the visa itself once the application is complete should only take a week or maybe two - but they won't accept a partial application.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're amazing. Thank you. We've been caught up with US immigration stuff that it translated onto this. Any who, just to confirm, I should get travelers insurance, yes? I read in a previous thread that Kaiser wasn't accepted.

·
Administrator
50,431 Posts
Check the consulate website for what sort of insurance you'll need. It depends on the type of visa you're on whether the travel type insurance is adequate or not. For some visas they insist you have repatriation coverage (i.e. they'll fly you back to where you came from if you require long-term treatment), but on a spouse visa it seems a bit incongruous. Ideally, you should get expat health insurance - usually considered to be "roughly" equivalent to the French national health system - but that sort of insurance is pricey.

The official requirements for the SF consulate are here: Long stay visa for spouses of French nationals - Consulat Général de France à San Francisco But oddly enough it mentions the health insurance "only" for French Polynesia.

Perhaps someone here has recently dealt with the San Francisco consulate and can provide a bit more detail?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
132 Posts
Check the consulate website for what sort of insurance you'll need. It depends on the type of visa you're on whether the travel type insurance is adequate or not. For some visas they insist you have repatriation coverage (i.e. they'll fly you back to where you came from if you require long-term treatment), but on a spouse visa it seems a bit incongruous. Ideally, you should get expat health insurance - usually considered to be "roughly" equivalent to the French national health system - but that sort of insurance is pricey.

The official requirements for the SF consulate are here: Long stay visa for spouses of French nationals - Consulat Général de France à San Francisco But oddly enough it mentions the health insurance "only" for French Polynesia.

Perhaps someone here has recently dealt with the San Francisco consulate and can provide a bit more detail?
Cheers,
Bev
I applied for my visa via the French Consulate in SF, and I purchased "USAway" health insurance (here) - I think it cost around $1,000 for 11 months, and it was sufficient for getting my visa granted. It really only covers emergencies / "bad luck" type things, not general medical costs like going to the doc, prescriptions, etc.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You need to be aware that it's highly unlikely your wife will be covered by the French system on arrival. Once you have been resident for 3 months though, she can apply for coverage by the CMU which costs 8% of worldwide income above Euro 9,601 (if your combined income is below that, as a French citizen she may be eligible for free cover and even a free mutuelle) and she would be able to have you attached to her cover. Be aware though, that it takes time to process and you should both have cover in the meantime (and the CMU will almost certainly ask your wife about her interim medical cover). Of course, you can't know at this point how long you will be in France.

Hope you get your livret de famille in time for your appointment.

Good luck and I hope the health issues are resolved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts