Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had gone through the process of taking an Egyptian partner to the UK. Basically, I've been with my boyfriend for just under 2 years now and I go out to Egypt every month. We are going to get engaged, but my dad wants to meet him first/he wants to meet my mum & dad. The problem is my dad can't fly so my boyfriend is going to have to come to the UK to meet my parents.

I'm concerned that even as a general visitor, he will not be able to get a visa but we are quite sure that we don't want to just apply for a fiance visa just yet. I have a very good job so financial support is not an issue, but I don't know if his financial background or links to Egypt will suffice in proving his intentions to leave at the end of his stay, even though he is only going to come for a month.

Has anyone been through the same thing? Any advice regarding evidence that should be produced? I've gone through the documents required by the UKBA with a fine tooth comb, but I want to cover all grounds so that they have no reason to refuse him.

We want to get engaged/married, but need for him to meet my family first and also experience my life in the UK to see where we are going to live. He's not fussed about being in the UK, in fact this is the first time we have even made an effort to get him there as I want to live in Egypt (lol) but it's important for us and our families.

Thanks,

C

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Clairey1
I done this process but 10 years ago, obviously things might have changed so I can only tell you of our experience as guidance.
Although when I went with my husband we had already been married in Egypt, I think this could make a difference as you are not married.
Your financial situation will be of little relevance to the visa as it is the finances of your boyfriend that will matter. The more evidence of healthy bank statement and good secure job in Egypt for your boyfriend will help, so the visa people believe he has reason to return here. A letter from his employer will help also.
The more documents you can provide will surely help but at the end of the day it's the decision of the visa people and there's never any guarentee he will get a visa, My husband just applied for a visa to the UK, we have been married 10 years and have 2 children but until the visa comes through its never a forgone conclusion.
Other factors they consider are, if your boyfriend has travelled outside the country before, if he has completed his national service and has permission from the army to travel.
I hope some of this may help, if I think of anything else I will post.
Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Clairey1
I done this process but 10 years ago, obviously things might have changed so I can only tell you of our experience as guidance.
Although when I went with my husband we had already been married in Egypt, I think this could make a difference as you are not married.
Your financial situation will be of little relevance to the visa as it is the finances of your boyfriend that will matter. The more evidence of healthy bank statement and good secure job in Egypt for your boyfriend will help, so the visa people believe he has reason to return here. A letter from his employer will help also.
The more documents you can provide will surely help but at the end of the day it's the decision of the visa people and there's never any guarentee he will get a visa, My husband just applied for a visa to the UK, we have been married 10 years and have 2 children but until the visa comes through its never a forgone conclusion.
Other factors they consider are, if your boyfriend has travelled outside the country before, if he has completed his national service and has permission from the army to travel.
I hope some of this may help, if I think of anything else I will post.
Good luck
Hi Marimar,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I thought I could act as a sponsor for him to come to the UK? I've looked at the UKBA website and this seems to be the case and if so, would they still consider his financial situation?

He's not been out of Egypt before, but completed his national service a long time ago. The thing is, we don't want to get married officially until he has met my parents and we don't want the issue of a visa to force our marriage.

He has an apartment of his own, but his bank account is the healthiest!

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

C

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Marimar,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I thought I could act as a sponsor for him to come to the UK? I've looked at the UKBA website and this seems to be the case and if so, would they still consider his financial situation?

He's not been out of Egypt before, but completed his national service a long time ago. The thing is, we don't want to get married officially until he has met my parents and we don't want the issue of a visa to force our marriage.

He has an apartment of his own, but his bank account is the healthiest!

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

C

Hi Clairey, you can act as a sponser but its still no guarentee to the visa people that he will return to Egypt. All it means is that you are responsible for him while he is in the UK and if he commits a crime, violates his visa or doesn't return to Egypt, you will be held accountable and have to deal with the consequences. I don't mean to imply any of this would happen but you have to be aware of the rules.

The employers letter should be stamped and include his wage details and that he is on a holiday from the company.
A copy of his ownership of his apartment, translated in English could also help.

The issue of national service has nothing to do with his visa application, sorry, but its something that has to be considered when leaving the country as i'm sure he already knows.

Any other questions, let me know and I'll try to help all I can, I know how difficult it is to do these things for the first time. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just his finances that I'm concerned about as he earns very little and doesn't have savings per say. I'm concerned that they will look at this negatively and not allow him in because of this. We can provide loads of evidence in other ways, e.g. proof of relationship, proof of my financial sponsorship for him, etc, but proving his financial status is going to be difficult :confused2:

Is there anyone we can contact in the UK or in Egypt for advice?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's just his finances that I'm concerned about as he earns very little and doesn't have savings per say. I'm concerned that they will look at this negatively and not allow him in because of this. We can provide loads of evidence in other ways, e.g. proof of relationship, proof of my financial sponsorship for him, etc, but proving his financial status is going to be difficult :confused2:

Is there anyone we can contact in the UK or in Egypt for advice?

His finances are only one aspect but if works against him I'm not sure there's much you can do about that, whatever you do, don't try to help in ways that would be considered fraud etc. For example, don't think about putting a lot of money into his account suddenly or they will be suspect about this, they're very sharp about things like that, they know all the tricks.
The most you can do is be very prepared, provide all the documents you can and hope for the best.
I don't know of anywhere that can offer advice, only maybe the visa centre itself which you should find all the details from links on the Embassy website.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your help. I want to do things honestly so I'm not going to put money into his account, but I will support him financially in the UK so I'll tell them this.

Just out of interest, I've read on lots of sites that it's best not to mention that we are boyfriend/girlfriend as they might see this as him coming to the UK to marry. I want to be honest, but what do you think? Is it better to just say that we are friends?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks for all your help. I want to do things honestly so I'm not going to put money into his account, but I will support him financially in the UK so I'll tell them this.

Just out of interest, I've read on lots of sites that it's best not to mention that we are boyfriend/girlfriend as they might see this as him coming to the UK to marry. I want to be honest, but what do you think? Is it better to just say that we are friends?

That's something you need to decide yourself, I don't want to suggest anything that may or may not help. Hope all goes well.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts