Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are looking at moving to Cyprus in Dec 09 and have a few questions that i'm hoping someone here could help us with!! (Getting a little bit stressed now as not long to go!)

I'm going to be working for the hospital and they are sorting out my visa on arrival which is a relief, however my boyfriend needs a bit of help with his. He is an electrician on an Australian passport... what sort of visa would he be needing? And is it difficult to get? We're currently living in England, would he be able to apply for his visa from here?

Also, we were hoping to get a van and travel over by road / ferry which would be a great experience, but after reading some threads on here this is looking like it will not be worth the hassle with costs and registering the vehicle once in Cyprus... is flying easier / cheaper?

Thanks...that's all I can think of, for now anyway!

Anna

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi there,

My boyfriend and I are looking at moving to Cyprus in Dec 09 and have a few questions that i'm hoping someone here could help us with!! (Getting a little bit stressed now as not long to go!)

I'm going to be working for the hospital and they are sorting out my visa on arrival which is a relief, however my boyfriend needs a bit of help with his. He is an electrician on an Australian passport... what sort of visa would he be needing? And is it difficult to get? We're currently living in England, would he be able to apply for his visa from here?

Also, we were hoping to get a van and travel over by road / ferry which would be a great experience, but after reading some threads on here this is looking like it will not be worth the hassle with costs and registering the vehicle once in Cyprus... is flying easier / cheaper?

Thanks...that's all I can think of, for now anyway!

Anna
Hi Anna and welcome to the forum.
I am not sure about the visa requirements. Can I suggest you contact the Cypriot Embassy or Australian High Commission in London? They should be able to advise.

As regards driving over, we considered this and costed it a few years ago. We found it was cheaper to fly over and ship the car on a roll-on roll-off ferry from Southampton than to drive.

If you have a good car in England, less than five years old and less than 2000cc then shipping it on the ferry and re-registering in Cyprus might be worth doing. Buying secondhand cars here is more expensive than in England

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Anna and welcome to the forum.
I am not sure about the visa requirements. Can I suggest you contact the Cypriot Embassy or Australian High Commission in London? They should be able to advise.

As regards driving over, we considered this and costed it a few years ago. We found it was cheaper to fly over and ship the car on a roll-on roll-off ferry from Southampton than to drive.

If you have a good car in England, less than five years old and less than 2000cc then shipping it on the ferry and re-registering in Cyprus might be worth doing. Buying secondhand cars here is more expensive than in England

Hi Babs,
Thanks so much for the reply!
Yes we will have to give the embassy a call to sort the visa out.
Well we don't actually have a vehicle yet.. we're planning on buying a van (which wont be less than 5 years old) and driving over..boyfriend very keen to do this!, catching the ferry through Turkey which seems to be the only point to do so at this time of year. Little bit worried about entering on the north side? And we will have to then cross into Nicosia..what is it like driving over the border now do you know?

We are only going to be living there for approx 6-8 months, so not a permanent move, so not sure if we'll have to re-register our vehicle for that short length of time?

Thanks, hope you can help again!

Anna

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.