Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- I have done quite a bit of searching on this site but have not found a lot of info about getting a Subclass 121 PR visa. My husband has been offered a job in Perth starting approx. May 2010. His employer has offered assistance in getting a 457 Visa, and "on our arrival in Australia will nominate us for permanent residency." What I'm wondering is if we can ask the employer to sponsor us now (while we are still in the states) for a subclass 121 visa which would grant us PR status prior to getting to Australia next year? I did look at the Australian immigration site and I think that we meet all the requirements. Has anyone gone this route? Any advice? My other question is if we do go the 457 route, and then get nominated for PR once we're there my understanding is that we have to live there for 2 years before this can happen? Am I correct?

All of these questions then lead me to the topic of health insurance. I understand that we do not qualify for the national health system unless we have PR status, though even then I'm told we might still consider private insurance. Is it typical for Australian employers to pay for any of the cost of private health insurance? Particularly if we are on a 457 and cannot use the national health care system? Or can we purchase health care through our employer pre-tax?

Ok, sorry for the lengthy post. Am just beginning this process. Appreciate any/all help you can offer.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Ardie:

Can't comment too much on 121 as I did the 457 --> 856 PR route. You can apply for PR when you get here on a 457, but the 2 yrs wait exempts you from some requirements, so many wait the two years.

As for health insurance for a 457:
1. You do not qualify to use the public system (Medicare)
2. You can get private health insurance. Look for 'visitor cover' as that is the right type (I went with Medibank Private for this).
3. You can deduct the monthly payments pre-tax through your payroll for health insurance.
4. You can also get an Medicare Levy Exemption so you are not charged 1.5% Levy Surcharge.

Hello all- I have done quite a bit of searching on this site but have not found a lot of info about getting a Subclass 121 PR visa. My husband has been offered a job in Perth starting approx. May 2010. His employer has offered assistance in getting a 457 Visa, and "on our arrival in Australia will nominate us for permanent residency." What I'm wondering is if we can ask the employer to sponsor us now (while we are still in the states) for a subclass 121 visa which would grant us PR status prior to getting to Australia next year? I did look at the Australian immigration site and I think that we meet all the requirements. Has anyone gone this route? Any advice? My other question is if we do go the 457 route, and then get nominated for PR once we're there my understanding is that we have to live there for 2 years before this can happen? Am I correct?

All of these questions then lead me to the topic of health insurance. I understand that we do not qualify for the national health system unless we have PR status, though even then I'm told we might still consider private insurance. Is it typical for Australian employers to pay for any of the cost of private health insurance? Particularly if we are on a 457 and cannot use the national health care system? Or can we purchase health care through our employer pre-tax?

Ok, sorry for the lengthy post. Am just beginning this process. Appreciate any/all help you can offer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. So it sounds like there may not be a way to get PR any sooner then 2 yrs if we go on a 457? We have a young child so would LOVE to be able to get PR ASAP so we can use the schools, and of course the health care. Guess we'll have to just speak with the HR dept and see what they can do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I'm wondering what other options are available for PR if we first come over on a 457? Anything faster than 2 years? Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts