Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My skilled immigrant visa was granted today.

I am based in India and need to find a job in Australia. I want to know how easy or difficult it would likely be to find a job in Australia without moving there first? I am going to go alone and would like to be able to find a job before I get there, unless it is really not possible.

Any tips on how to go about my job search?

Please advise!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
congratulations, finding a job is difficult but not impossible. You have to really read a few threads about finding job, how people managed it and then decide what you want to do and what your next step should be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the job-related threads also on this forum? I couldn't find any useful ones in the first couple of pages, will comb through more carefully.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi popcorn09,

use the search function and switch to advanced mode, so you can select to only search through the forum titles. You should get lots of results, people ask about the job market on a weekly basis. There are also some "Visa granted" and "I am here now" threads were people report back about their first few weeks in Australia that can be quite helpful. You may have to vary your search terms a bit ;).

Regarding your question: It is pretty difficult to get a job while you are still overseas (especially if your visa hasn't been granted yet). We found that we had more success hearing back from companies that don't use recruiters but handle the entire interview process themselves. You can start by looking for jobs on seek and reading through industry publications in your field to identify potential employers.

We also used reports like "Best Places to Work in Australia" to identify larger companies in our field. Then you start sending out applications, just like you would at home. At the very least you should get a couple of interviews / phone calls out of it and some contacts. Even if you don't get a job, you'll be familiar with the market and know some HR people / recruiters who you can call, saying "Hey, I'm here now. Would you still be interested to meet?"

You can set up an Australian phone number via Skype, so people can call you back at local rates.

Good luck,
Monika

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi popcorn09,

use the search function and switch to advanced mode, so you can select to only search through the forum titles. You should get lots of results, people ask about the job market on a weekly basis. There are also some "Visa granted" and "I am here now" threads were people report back about their first few weeks in Australia that can be quite helpful. You may have to vary your search terms a bit ;).

Regarding your question: It is pretty difficult to get a job while you are still overseas (especially if your visa hasn't been granted yet). We found that we had more success hearing back from companies that don't use recruiters but handle the entire interview process themselves. You can start by looking for jobs on seek and reading through industry publications in your field to identify potential employers.

We also used reports like "Best Places to Work in Australia" to identify larger companies in our field. Then you start sending out applications, just like you would at home. At the very least you should get a couple of interviews / phone calls out of it and some contacts. Even if you don't get a job, you'll be familiar with the market and know some HR people / recruiters who you can call, saying "Hey, I'm here now. Would you still be interested to meet?"

You can set up an Australian phone number via Skype, so people can call you back at local rates.

Good luck,
Monika
Thanks a lot Monika! My skilled immigrant visa has been granted so the work permit should not be an issue.

I will go setup the Skype phone number right away!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi popcorn09,

yeah, since you have received your grant already companies should be a bit more willing to interview you remotely. Visa processing times cannot be predicted all that accurately and a company that puts out an ad for a job usually wants the employee to start asap. Make sure to point out that you have a PR visa and can start at short notice.

Cheerio,
Monika

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Popcorn09,

I am in the same boat and looking for jobs from India. I got my visa grant one month back and trying to get some offer before I move to Australia.I got few response but didn't get anything major from recruiters. Recruiters did ask me few questions and all about my background and experience etc but didn't turn back after that.
If you are in India can you share your contact details so that we can touch base and can help each other as we both have same objective to achieve.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts