Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, everybody.

I am a bit confused: basically my Japanese girlfriend got her Visa yesterday :) and she can move in the UK after the 30th of July,
but my anxious mind is concerned and confused about the type of Visa she has got.

I used a solicitor in London (against my gf will, who suggested me to do everything by ourselves) and paid him a £1500 fee for the review of my docs (I could just use your website and save £££) and £950 fee for the Fiance Visa application.

I have an Italian passport, so the solicitor told me that would be a bit easier than having British passport (surprising for me, the last good thing about Italy :) )
Btw I meet the financial requirements and all the other points.

To be honest I wasn't very happy with his service because I had to chase him up many times, then he sent the documents late to Japan and had to move the appointment... but my first concern arrived when I received an email from the Visa service agency in Tokyo saying that the amount due was £0.00.
At first I thought is because the solicitor paid the fee and there is not any outstanding amount but then when my gf received her Visa, I saw that her visa is an EEA FP FAMILY MEMBER, is this a Fiance Visa or just an EU family Visa? Or is just the same thing?

I don't want to sound paranoid but if I am right, the first visa is £950 and the second visa is free of charge.
I just feel like he ripped me off...

Thanks for any reply

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Unfortunately, you got some really bad advice. Your solicitor was wrong. Since you have an British passport that takes precedence over any other nationality you have and you must apply under British immigration rules, not EEA rules. Because you are British your girlfriend is not eligible for an EEA Family Permit. She can only apply under British immigration rules and she should have applied to "join family" as a fiance which costs £956.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
What a rip-off! EEA family permit is one of the easiest travel documents to get and anyone can apply, esp if you are both living outside UK. OK, you are unmarried so you need evidence of 2-year cohabitation, but other than that, there is minimum requirement. And the permit is issued free. There is no health surcharge to pay. When you both get to UK, as soon as you start exercising EU treaty right by working, for example, she can apply for residence card valid 5 years with the right to work. There is £65 application fee.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Just read your reply, nyclon.
I think OP only has Italian passport if you read his post, so that's why she got EEA family permit. My comment stands though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.
To clarify I don't have a British passport and I have been living in the Uk for 6 years.
So that visa she has got is not a fiance visa right?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
No, EEA family permit, as I've described. You have been living together for 2 years?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We met in London (she was on a student visa for 1 year) in january 2013 and then she went back to Japan. We have a distant relationship.
What i would like to understand:
- is the eea permit a weaker visa then a Fiance Visa?
- what should we do once she arrives? Apply for a spouse visa or a permit card as you adviced?
- should I confront my solicitor? (Refer to trading standards?)

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
EEA family permit is issued under the EEA regulations for those who qualify for it, including your partner. If you apply as fiancée, as she has done, you need to pay the same visa fee as UK fiancée visa. If you had already been married, it would have been free.
After getting married (makes things easier) and you start working, she applies for residence card on form EEA(FM) for £65.
Well, you can complain to the Law Society for incompetence.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I am working in the UK, since I moved in London back in 2009, can I apply straight after getting married?

Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Yes. You supply one payslip and signed contract, proof of accommodation like tenancy agreement, marriage certificate, her original passport and your certified passport copy (or your original national ID card).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.